Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
What's the age limit. Do I need to be collecting

Social Security. I feel real old right now.:madman: After a road ride with 20 of my closest friends suddenly made me feel like I was hit by a mac truck.I'm thankful I was wearing a helmet.The scrapes would have been on my knoggin. Now boys and girls , please wear your helmets. Before this I've been logging more miles and rides on the road and dirt in a long time, which is a good thing. Here's a pic of an area we ride that got burned out earlier in the season. I can only imagine a ghost rider hitting the trails when the fire was ablazing.If it was at night it sure would make a good picture.;) Nice to here from you and I wish all the best to all and many rides to come..

evs(daydream riding)

Attachments

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Schwinng said:
Whatever happened to these and other MTBR Old Pharts? You guys still riding? What have y'all be up to?

Herb
last i heard Celly was occasionally lurking and spending most of his time in domestic bliss with Spike and the little one.

BeeTee's lurks in the underbrush as well, still rides, and keeps me abreast of the latest on his ipod.

the rest of the crew T.O.M. etc seem to have found other foci for their non-ride time. :)

rt - one of the few pre-2000 posters still hanging about

·
an orig. MTBR "Old Phart"
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
*rt* said:
last i heard Celly was occasionally lurking and spending most of his time in domestic bliss with Spike and the little one.

BeeTee's lurks in the underbrush as well, still rides, and keeps me abreast of the latest on his ipod.

the rest of the crew T.O.M. etc seem to have found other foci for their non-ride time. :)

rt - one of the few pre-2000 posters still hanging about
Hey, *rt*.

Great hearing from you again. BTW, I oftentimes lurk, and love reading about your racing. You rock! :)

I occasionally get an e-mail from "Parkmeister," who's married with a baby in Sacramento. I think he's traded in his Superlight for a street racer motorcycle, but still rides some.

Haven't heard or seen "Hedgehog" in a looong time.

"stine" is visiting So. Cal. shortly, and hopefully a few of us will hook up over dinner.

I've completely lost contact with "Snookums" and his dad "Bob D.," "Kevlar," "Ernie," "Mike###" (forgot his 3 nos.), "dr. hoo" (still teaching in Wisconsin as a sociology professor?) and his wife "mtbturtle," etc.

All of us used to go on some great rides some years ago, but that all stopped when some of us had some pressing work to attend to. For me, it was the arrival of my son that took me out of the group rides because they tended to start at a later time on the weekend.

Anyhow, glad you've kept up with your riding and racing. I love that you've got sponsors and seem to always finish near or at the top of your racing group - just awesome!

Hope work at the CDC is going well. I love my teaching gig. I've got 3 more years till I make tenure.

Take care,

Herb

·
mtbr rememberer
108 Posts
Still riding, but not nearly as much MTB anymore. Mostly I have fallen into the road riding thing because it is just so much quicker to get to riding than the mtb. Doing my thing in WI, teaching, got tenure, so that's fine and good.

As for MTBR, I don't read it daily anymore, and just skim it every few days (obviously). If you don't know the players (and I don't know the passion players anymore) the stories just aren't quite as interesting... especially after reading so many of them over the years. They all just kind of blurr together.

I do remember those rides with great fondness. Well, all but one of them that is.

How are things going for you?

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dr. hoo!

dr hoo said:
Still riding, but not nearly as much MTB anymore. Mostly I have fallen into the road riding thing because it is just so much quicker to get to riding than the mtb. Doing my thing in WI, teaching, got tenure, so that's fine and good.

As for MTBR, I don't read it daily anymore, and just skim it every few days (obviously). If you don't know the players (and I don't know the passion players anymore) the stories just aren't quite as interesting... especially after reading so many of them over the years. They all just kind of blurr together.

I do remember those rides with great fondness. Well, all but one of them that is.

How are things going for you?
Hey, Jeff!

Great hearing from you! Congrats (big time) on making tenure! That is a great accomplishment. I just finished my 2nd year in the tenure-track myself, and am enjoying it a great deal.

We bought a house in the insane L.A. market almost 2 years ago. However, I'm growing tired of investing such a significant proportion of my salary into our mortgage so I've been looking for tenure-track gigs outside of Calif.

I recently got back into mtn biking and have been doing great in keeping a consistent riding schedule. I owned a sweet Specialized road bike, but never had much fun riding road, so I sold it and bought my buddy's 1997 DBR V-Link Pro Carbon Fiber (see pics). Full XTR, Marzocchi Bomber X-Fly (100mm), the ol' Tomac Magura hydraulic brakes, etc. I love dualies that weight about 25 lbs.!

Do you still own your Kona Explosif hardtail? Yes, I think I recall that ride you referred to. That fall was nasty, so I don't blame you.

I think the only familiar folks here who still post on a regular basis are *rt* and sometimes BT. So, the "old pharts" (when "DaleRider1" was around) are a dying breed around here, unfortunately.

I hope you guys are enjoying WI. My bro-in-law's younger bro got tenure a couple of years ago at U of WI, Madison, and loves both the gig and city.

Great hearing from you again, Jeff. Hope everything is going great with you and Angela.

Best,

Herb

Attachments

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bt ...

Hollis said:
*ALL* of your shots are not just "nice," but outstanding. Your work really speaks to me. And, no, these aren't auditory hallucinations. :)

Still stay up in Altadena when you're out here, Brad? If so, let me know if you ever want to go for a ride. Maybe we can get some of the "old pharts" together for a day.

Herb

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Nobody asked but........

I'm still here. I think I go back about 10-years on this site. I don't know. It gets harder and harder to remember the older I get.

I still ride mtb and road. Did ride # 73 for the season last night.

Speaking of old timers, no one mentioned Chef. No idea if he still rides. Fred3 is still around once in a while and he goes way back. There are more old timers than the usual small cast that gets mentioned.

·
keep the shiny side up!
275 Posts
wow!
i remember those names from long ago. how bout MellowYellow , Upchuck, or Vlad?
having been around since the beginning of the board, i remember the banter being a lot friendlier. don't post much anymore, but cruise on by from time to time.
one nice thing about the sight is that dalerider's image still grace the pages.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
You mistake the current site for the original

I hope this is not an example of your normal research.

This site goes back many years. We "old pharts" were forced to re-register for the current incarnation. It is not original. I posted before 9/11 (that seems to be the dividing date for many of us.) I may have been posting in '97. I may not have been posting in '97. I had a story printed in Dirt Rag. It originated here and concerned my '98 Zaskar. The story was called "Soccer Fields."

I don't write much anymore. I used to write many words. Some good. I don't write many words now. Good or bad. I still ride many days though.

Good words are rare these days. Bad words are not.

Peace
Rev

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Rev Bubba said:
I hope this is not an example of your normal research.
I suppose the smiley face might have been overlooked. I hope this is not an example of
your reaction to humor. Your first and last sentences are somewhat diametrically opposed.

Now, breathe deeply. Relax. Re-read your post and look at the 3 year time-stamp as well
as the 10 year reference. Ask yourself how that might look funny. Remotely funny? Nothing?
Cheech and Chong funny?

BTW - I was born in the 50's.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Oye

:)

Better?

PS: I was born in the 40's. God bless Harry Truman.

PPS: I did not click as instructed. Did I miss something? I often miss things. What did I miss?

PPPS: Can we start a flame war? The new site is lacking in flame wars.
;)

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Rev Bubba said:
:)

Better?

PS: I was born in the 40's. God bless Harry Truman.
[Evil Patrick bowing down...on all fours...head to the floor...arms outstretched...backing out of the
room...]

Rev Bubba said:
PPS: I did not click as instructed. Did I miss something? I often miss things. What did I miss?
Videos. My home-spun, safe for work, mountainbiking videos.

Rev Bubba said:
PPPS: Can we start a flame war? The new site is lacking in flame wars.
;)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was a regular on the boards starting around '97 and after a couple years left to be regular on a now defunct board and just recently came back...I was "Sasquatch" back then....there's of course the "Sasquatch" now who is very prolific that uses that moniker.

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,220 Posts
Evil Patrick said:
Rev Bubba
mtbr member
Obviously you were not posting here on the old forum. Which I am so glad is now history, I hated that setup.

Anyone who registered in Jan 04 was coming over from the old forums. I think the switch was made right before the new year.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Acme54321 said:
Obviously you were not posting here on the old forum. Which I am so glad is now history, I hated that setup.

Anyone who registered in Jan 04 was coming over from the old forums. I think the switch was made right before the new year.
And then there was the name poaching.... aah.... drama from the old days.....everything was hugs, kisses and rainbows until mean ol' Pete made fun of Chef.

·
Glutton for punishment
581 Posts
I'm here...still

Don't post much. Ride as much as possible. Play with the little ones even more than ride!
  • I joined the board in an on and off fashion in 99 sometime (I think).
  • I've had schizophrenia of the handle but have stuck with this one for a bit.
  • Was part of the organizing/ride leadership of the first AZ Spring Fling.
  • Wrote a long-winded report of getting engaged!
  • Read many many many stories. Dalerider1, Rev Bubba, Chef and others made up for pictures with words.
  • Many of our good friends are only a few degrees separated from MTBR. Durtgurl, Brianc, Gnarlene...
  • Watched others meet and marry and have kids through this board.
  • Had many good rides with people on their home turf.
  • Shared my couch with people we won't forget.
Ahh, memories.

Chef and Twilight Error are alive and well in the NE. Not as focussed on riding as much as home life and other adventures. Tiny Tank and Charlie America are in Canada somewhere making babies. Gnarlene and Skogan are up in Canmore having more fun that should be allowed. Shaba-Joe? Haven't heard in a while but he's probably still a bike/ski vagrant. JimC - well we all know about his noble sacrifice! I saw Bugaroo recently...maybe, looked like the same backside from a distance. SilverSurfer is up in the NW riding and riding. There are so many out there, and so many more here!

SN

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,220 Posts
Ken in KC said:
And then there was the name poaching.... aah.... drama from the old days.....everything was hugs, kisses and rainbows until mean ol' Pete made fun of Chef.
Where the hell did Pete go anyway? I wasn't visiting much here for a while then I came back and he was gone?? I missed his off color comments and great pictures. I'm all for calling people out on being retarded, and Pete sure was good at it. Made the forum more interesting.

1 - 20 of 259 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.