Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about a short hair away from pulling the trigger on a Moots Rigor Mootis. Dang, it's a ton of money, but the frames are so beautiful and timeless.

Just curious of Moots owners comments and experiences, likes, dislikes. Was it worth your investment? Would you buy one again? Are the breezer dropouts durable?

Any and all comments you might have, both good and bad, would be helpful!

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
How much?

Celt said:
I'm about a short hair away from pulling the trigger on a Moots Rigor Mootis. Dang, it's a ton of money, but the frames are so beautiful and timeless.

Just curious of Moots owners comments and experiences, likes, dislikes. Was it worth your investment? Would you buy one again? Are the breezer dropouts durable?

Any and all comments you might have, both good and bad, would be helpful!
2 grand? For a functional piece of art that you can ride the piss out of your whole life, then pass it on to one of your grandkids, it's worth it,

Me? I don't got a Rigor Mootis but that's me, I'm a tight ass, my prize possession is a nasty old Pisgah, that I will leave to my kid or grand kid when I am too old/dead to ride.

·
Registered
222 Posts
moots make great frames, BUT you can get something as good for much less. I ride a dean colonel and wouldnt say that a moots rigor mootis frame is any better. The 1000$ you save could be spent on a much better build.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A Moots owner replies

carlos said:
you can have a full custom seven sola or strong titanium frame for less than the price moots charges for the stock rigormootis. i dont think its worthy.
I have two Moots-a YBB that I bought back in '97 and a PsychloX-YBB that I picked up a couple of years ago.

They're great bikes. They're beautifully made, with an understated elegance that doesn't need flashy paint or graphics to make an impact. I see them as lifetime investments, and if you ever need to, you can send the bikes back to the factory to be refurbished as good as new. (And the Breezer-style dropouts are built hell for stout.)

Of course, value is in the eye of the beholder. A Corvette will do virtually everything a Ferrari will do, for a fraction of the price. However, given a choice, most people would still choose the Ferrari, for its tradition, design and cachet. That's Moots. If you can afford one, along with a decent build kit, go for it. Keep in mind, too, that unless you're oddly proportioned or have special requirements, a stock-sized frame would probably work fine. Stock or custom, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'll Chime In...

the wife bought me a Ti Smoothie for my 40th. I have another Ti hardtail and have become a Ti or nothing guy. My Moots is indeed a work of art. It rides like no other bike I've ever had. There are some amazing craftsmen out there welding Ti. You would have trouble going too far wrong with IF, Moots, Seven, Strong, Kish, DeSalvo, etc. I thought the relative pricing was more like:

Rigor - $2450
Sola - $2600
Verve - $1990
Strong - $2600 (3/2.5)
IF - $2850
Desalvo - $1900

The only one I've seen below $1800 is the Dean. Haven;t ridden one, so I can;t comment on the quality, but you are NOT going to get a custom Sola or Strong for less than a Rigor.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Just sold my YBB

I don't have room for many bikes and had a YBB for 3 yrs. I loved it but want more squish for racing so i sold it after getting it refurbed. I do have bonty hardtail also. They are beautiful for sure & ride nicely. In a wierd way I'd recommend the Rigor over the YBB. Previously I thought the opposite. A beautiful hardtail is a great thing, and if & when Moots is long gone the hardtail will still work out fine. . The YBB was a bit bouncy for my 185 lb ass I guess. Now i'd love to get a Vamoots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.