Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up? so im looking into getting a new urban/dj and 4x frame. i like the way the jackal looks and what not but i'd really like to hear some rider imput on the frame. pics would be much appreciated. i don't want something too heavy so it'd be nice to hear about how they felt in the weight aspect too. i've heard both good and bad about the bike. thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
got one for xmas

I got one for xmas its 36lbs a lot comes from the wheels

ebfreerider510 said:
hey whats up? so im looking into getting a new urban/dj and 4x frame. i like the way the jackal looks and what not but i'd really like to hear some rider imput on the frame. pics would be much appreciated. i don't want something too heavy so it'd be nice to hear about how they felt in the weight aspect too. i've heard both good and bad about the bike. thanks

Attachments

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
you know, the jackal is a really great bike, but if you want to do anything besides DJ, then forget it. santa cruz screwed up on this one, if you want more an all around bike, get the chamelion frame. they are also a bit heavy and pretty awkward to get used to. if you want a frame, go look into a nemisis project, dobherman, or maybe even a Specialized p. bike.

thats what i'm riding, actually I have two of em' a 06' P.1 cr-mo and a 04' P.2. they're great and specialized has a lifetime warranty on the frame.

·
Registered
345 Posts
sounds like Mountain bike Action review

todd_freeride said:
you know, the jackal is a really great bike, but if you want to do anything besides DJ, then forget it. santa cruz screwed up on this one, if you want more an all around bike, get the chamelion frame. they are also a bit heavy and pretty awkward to get used to. if you want a frame, go look into a nemisis project, dobherman, or maybe even a Specialized p. bike.

thats what i'm riding, actually I have two of em' a 06' P.1 cr-mo and a 04' P.2. they're great and specialized has a lifetime warranty on the frame.
sounds like Mountain bike Action review, I do agree the chameleon is more flexible. I don't normaly agree with the Mag.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
todd_freeride said:
you know, the jackal is a really great bike, but if you want to do anything besides DJ, then forget it. santa cruz screwed up on this one, if you want more an all around bike, get the chamelion frame.
That seems kind of harsh. Isn't DJ what the Jackal was designed for, whereas the Chameleon is supposed to be versatile?

I'd agree that a Chameleon might be the better choice for OP.

On the other hand, I have a Trans Red Jackal frame waiting to be built up, and it is a damn cool. I haven't seen any pictures that do justice to burliness of the real thing.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
todd_freeride said:

No, they didnt screw up on this one any more than they screwed up on the V-10 as a cross country bike. The Jackal is purpose-built as a DJ bike, and I am willing to bet it does pretty well on street and park as well. A trail bike, it is not, but a bike that is designed to be good everything is rarely great at anything, so ride it for what it is, not for what you think it should be. And BTW, the lifetime warranty is voided the moment you take to the air with the Specialized- at least you still get a crash-replacement plan from SC.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
dankilling said:
No, they didnt screw up on this one any more than they screwed up on the V-10 as a cross country bike. The Jackal is purpose-built as a DJ bike, and I am willing to bet it does pretty well on street and park as well. A trail bike, it is not, but a bike that is designed to be good everything is rarely great at anything, so ride it for what it is, not for what you think it should be. And BTW, the lifetime warranty is voided the moment you take to the air with the Specialized- at least you still get a crash-replacement plan from SC.
nope, I cracked my p.2 frame, they sent me a new one. they back up the frame no matter what, unless you were running 8 inches of travel or something
:p

·
Registered
345 Posts
It does well in the area it was designed for

I have a 5.5 for trails and a homegrown for XC. The jackal is my goof of bike for urban and dj and it does great at that, the only thing I wish was diffrent is that it does not have a chain guide nor the intst. mount.
Other than that its great at what its build for.

·
The Jackal
36 Posts
Jackal is an awesome frame. It rides "perfectly" in the dirt and at bmxtracks (4x).
Quite heavy sometimes. But it's steady as rock. Love it...

Beautiful frame :]. And even more hot with some custom "jackal" stickers ;).

and some pics.
not final spec... some changes are gonna be made.. Deity cranks on the way (White ofc.)... also stem+handlebar.. in the future.

More pics and spec. www.no-phear.com/WinterJackal/

Weight is estimated to be under 16kg.

·
Registered
345 Posts
did you make that sticker?

noPHEAR said:
Jackal is an awesome frame. It rides "perfectly" in the dirt and at bmxtracks (4x).

and some pics.
not final spec... some changes are gonna be made.. Deity cranks on the way (White ofc.)... also stem+handlebar.. in the future.

that looks cool I want one.
I changed seat and brakes on mine and the seatpost I like to bomb down to the jump park I can really rail on the Jackal.

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
I need your help

noPHEAR said:

and some pics.

I need a chain guide, what are you using guide and BB, and are happy with it?

·
The Jackal
36 Posts
Tried to use a E.13 SRS guide with Saint.. but it didn't work at all...
The chainstays on the Jackal is an issue.. They are really wide. And biig.
Maybe should work with other cranks.. I think my Deity cranks will be in the post office tomorrow.. Will try it out and let you know.
And even if it would work.. you will need to modify the ISCG plate.
Other plans I have had is fixing a custom ISCG plate and Modify some sort of crankspider to mount a Supercharger bash (modified to cover the chain) as a Cookie Jar... Chase style.

·
The Jackal
36 Posts
Festusjrf said:
I need a chain guide, what are you using guide and BB, and are happy with it?
Update. New cranks. I installed the ISCG mount plate for SRS backplate...
It will fit. But you will have to modify it. And if the backplate gets a hit from a dirtlip or something it will leave nasty marks on your chainstay.

Email Santa Cruz and see if they know what chainguide's that will fit.

·
Registered
345 Posts
They recommend the sts

noPHEAR said:
Update. New cranks. I installed the ISCG mount plate for SRS backplate...
It will fit. But you will have to modify it. And if the backplate gets a hit from a dirtlip or something it will leave nasty marks on your chainstay.

Email Santa Cruz and see if they know what chainguide's that will fit.
It also has to be modified, they send me pictures where its modified.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have an ethirteen STS coming

I ate dirt twice today because the chain was of after the jump and I threw my whole weight on the pedals to gain speed for the next jump. Not a very pretty seight eighter.
I will let you know how it goes.

·
The Jackal
36 Posts
Ouch sounds bad mate.

Do you have any pics on the guide setup or pics on the modification of the guide, thx.
Ice and snow everywhere here, so I can't test my new singlespeed ratio. If it doens't satisfy me i'm going for gears again (snapped X.9 before singlespeed :/).
Hmz. I was running 9spd gear without guide.. well.. just the backplate and bash from a SRS.. the rollers didn't fit. The chain jumped of just 2-3 times in 6months I think. Was running a tight racercassette and 32T front ring. So gearratio was kinda ok in the middle of the cassette making the chainline kinda perfect I guess.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.