Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Judging by all of the pics, there's quite a few riders here in CO on one of James' creations. I recently acquired a BS Highlight and will be running it rigid as a SS but wanted to see what tire setups the rest of the herd is currently running successfully.

I hastily threw on tubed 2.1 Ignitors/Stan Arches for front and back duty (I said duty... hehe) for my first ride this weekend. With the rigid ti fork up front, I'm leaning towards a larger volume tire that could eat up some snow this winter as well as general trail conditions in the FR and Fruita come spring. I'm new to tubeless so still figuring that out as well.

Feel free to critique the current build. Brakes will most likely go to Formula K24s and S&S couplers might be in the future due to my travel schedule.

Blacksheep Highlight, Sliders
Blacksheep Ti Fork (lots of clearance)
CK hubs/Stans Arches/Ignitors
Niner 22T cog (been off the SS for a while)
WI Eno Cranks 175
XTR pedals
Phil Wood Steel BB 125mm +5 asym
Avid Ultimate levers
Avid BB7 brakes, Alligator rotors
Thomson stem
Maxm carbon bar
Moots layback post
Flite saddle
ODI lock ons

"Do these chamois, 2 pairs of tights, softshell pants, neoprene booties, 2 jerseys, windvest, and softshell make me look fat?"

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Schwalbe RR 2.4

Congrats on the new bike.
I have a BlackSheep 29er SS that I also run rigid in the winter. Not a Highlight but an earlier model. I actually had James add new chain stays to accomodate a wider rear tire as I previously fit up to a 2.1.

Schwalbe RR rear 2.25 and a 2.4 RR up front.
I like the idea of the SS couplers.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I was looking at the RR 2.4 for up front but was worried it might be too cush. Any issues with washing out in the corners with that much volume up front?

My HL seems to have massive amounts of rear clearance thus the railroad tie for a BB spindle. Needed it to clear the chainstays. No luck with my old Shimano Octalinks.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Good thread! It's a well known fact that Black Sheep must use different tires than all other MTBs in Colorado. I'd suggest the Cloven Hoof model with the medial claw traction control feature.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DWF said:
Good thread! It's a well known fact that Black Sheep must use different tires than all other MTBs in Colorado. I'd suggest the Cloven Hoof model with the medial claw traction control feature.
Tried the lateral claw Cloven Foot but ran it backwards on the rear. That was in the Southern Hemisphere though if that makes a difference...

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
2,031 Posts
I think the Rampage is a great tire for Colorado and even Utah. I run it on my 26er and 29er. Good volume and cush for the rigid 29er, still rolls pretty fast, and has great grip. Been my favorite on my Sheep.

Sweet pic by the way! That's a beautiful bike right there!

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
nOOby said:
29ers make don sad :(
Liar!

Racist!

29ers don't make me sad; it's the 29er Taliban that makes me sad.

Beyond that, I find all kool-aid drinking, lobotomized, fundamentalist, parrots with their dark ages throwback mythology blotting the clear blue skies of reality rather annoying.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"I was just a boy when the infidels came to my village on their 29ers. The infidels fired at the oil fields and they lit up like the eyes of Allah. Burning DOT4 fluid rained down from the sky and cooked everything it touched. I could only hide myself and cry as my goats were consumed by the fiery black liquid death. In the midst of the chaos, I could swear that I heard my goats screaming for help. As quickly as they had come, the big wheeled infidels were gone. It was on that day I put a jihad on them. And if you don't believe it, then you'd better kill me now, because I'll put a jihad on you, too."

Damn 29er Taliban...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.