Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fancy new bike for next years season. I went through a fit at my LBS. It was no good and I started having knee pain in my left knee. On my previous bike, I did not ever have this pain. I then went to a former pro cyclist for a second fit. The pain is much better, but still there. My power output has gone up by about 11% since the pro fit. I have ridden with this second fit for about 20 hours.

The pain starts about 2 hours after my ride, but is gone the next morning. It hurts on each side of my knee and only on my left knee. I am 40 and a Cat 2 mtb racer.

Is this pain a position issue or that I am pushing much harder than I have in the past and my body is getting use to the effort. I am leaning more towards a position issue, because the pain is still there even on easy days.

Thoughts?

·
The White Jeff W
5,712 Posts
Not sure about your fit issues but as a fellow 40+ guy I would suggest taking glucosamine chondroitin if your not already. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Could be any one of a number of things. What kind of stretching/conditioning do you do off the bike? I had some pretty profound knee pain years ago that I pretty well addressed through stretching and yoga.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When you say "each side" of your knee, do you mean on your joint line or on each side of your kneecap? Is the pain always time related or can you pinpoint a certain activity that makes it hurt while riding i.e. climbing, or bracing/standing?

GrantB's suggestion is a good one: take a look at your off the bike conditioning. Also, is one of your saddle rails bent causing you to lean to one side? Are your shoes new or broken down?

I would hate for you to go through yet another fit only to find it was something else.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All great questions. Thanks for the input.

1. I have been taking Hammer's Tissue Rejuvenator for a few years now. It has Glucosamine among other natural inflammatory agents.

2. I stretch at least 5 times a week. Actually, 10 times, if you include the post warm up stretching I do for gym workouts and the post workout stretching. I also use a foam roller at least 5 of those times. Flexibility isn't an issue. The fit guy (ex-US Postal Trek fit guy) test my flexibility and said that he knows pros that aren't as flexible as me.

3. The cleats and pedals are 3 months old.

4. My shoes are about 6 months old and well broken in. I found some Sidi Dragon SRS Carbon's on sale. Love'em.

5. The pain is located on each side of my knee cap and a little at the bottom of my knee cap. It doesn't hurt at all during the ride. Only a few hours after. Then the next morning, it is all gone.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It sounds like you have reasonable confidence in your fit and equipment. The symptoms could be from an increase in training volume/intensity. The issue now is to eliminate the inflammation from your knee (i.e. ice, rest, foam roller, massage, etc.) and strengthen your quads. If something doesn't feel right, see a doctor.

·
Monkey Wrench
353 Posts
Did you have a cant alignment done as part of this fit? Cleat wedges can dramatically affect knee pain and performance... It just needs to be done properly by someone who knows their stuff.

·
Registered
312 Posts
andy pruitt's book book has some good info on knee problems. i had some knee issues due to weak and/inflexible hamstrings. i started running, going to yoga and focusing on my hamstrings in the weight room and now i can ride, push, run, back to back to back.... 100 mile days without any problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts