Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you owned both, would there be too much overlap to justify having both?

Have an offering coming and was lined up to buy a calling for a really good deal. Want both but not if it seems like i'd only likely ride the offering more, or maybe the calling. For a brief while i owned a medium calling w a 150 fork, climbing it felt like i needed to run the seat rails way forward to feel 'about right'. This will be in the back of my head for sure. going 140mm forking on the new one in large.

thinking of running 27.5 wheels on the offering sometimes could be fun for a change.

go w both? or just go offering?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes. I haven't ridden the Offering, but it on paper and in reviews it seems like the ultimate quiver killer. That said, the Calling really seems to ride as advertised, i.e. playful, cornering like it's on rails, crazy nimble, etc. So if that's what you lust for, maybe you should have both bikes. I recently picked up a new Calling frame on ebay for $1280 and transferred all my parts from my old bike (had to use boost adapters for my non-boost wheels) so it was a very inexpensive upgrade for me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yes. I haven't ridden the Offering, but it on paper and in reviews it seems like the ultimate quiver killer. That said, the Calling really seems to ride as advertised, i.e. playful, cornering like it's on rails, crazy nimble, etc. So if that's what you lust for, maybe you should have both bikes. I recently picked up a new Calling frame on ebay for $1280 and transferred all my parts from my old bike (had to use boost adapters for my non-boost wheels) so it was a very inexpensive upgrade for me.
It depends how you build them both up. Stick a 160mm fork and coil shock, with -1 headset on the Offering, and use a 140mm Fox 34 and inline air shock on the Calling with lightweight wheels - and you have two very different bikes.

If you build them the same, you'll have two bikes that are similar - but that's true of a lot of bikes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
How the f did you find an xl calling frame for 1280. Question coming from a CL and eBay junkie.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If I was tall enough to really like 29ers, not sure why I'd mess with a calling. I'm not so I got the insurgent.
I am 6'-1" and bought a Calling over and Offering. I also bought an Insurgent lb last week to replace my Yeti sb6, and did not even consider a 29er for one second.

I know 29ers hold speed better and roll over stuff much easier, but they are also slower turning and if you like to jib, pop and jump off of rocks and roots, 650b's are better at that. Manuals and wheeling are also easier on smaller wheels. If you saw Crankworks, you probably noticed that most if not all bikes used on dual slalom, pump track, speed and style, joyride, and the whip event use smaller wheels. Also, I don't think any Rampage bike has ever been a 29er, in fact many riders still use 26' wheels. Obviously I am not nearly as talented as any of those guys, but it clearly shows that for certain type of riding smaller wheels are superior to 29ers. That does not negate that 29ers are also superior in other aspects and you can still jump them and play around in them, just like many top riders win races of 650b wheels against riders on 29 wheels. People just have different preferences and favor different styles or bike setups.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
What about your height means you don't like 29ers? I know pretty short folk who love their 29ers.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk
There's always geometry compromises on the small and extra small sizes. the M-XL are generally just scaled pieces.

I am 6'-1" and bought a Calling over and Offering. I also bought an Insurgent lb last week to replace my Yeti sb6, and did not even consider a 29er for one second.

I know 29ers hold speed better and roll over stuff much easier, but they are also slower turning and if you like to jib, pop and jump off of rocks and roots, 650b's are better at that. Manuals and wheeling are also easier on smaller wheels. If you saw Crankworks, you probably noticed that most if not all bikes used on dual slalom, pump track, speed and style, joyride, and the whip event use smaller wheels. Also, I don't think any Rampage bike has ever been a 29er, in fact many riders still use 26' wheels. Obviously I am not nearly as talented as any of those guys, but it clearly shows that for certain type of riding smaller wheels are superior to 29ers. That does not negate that 29ers are also superior in other aspects and you can still jump them and play around in them, just like many top riders win races of 650b wheels against riders on 29 wheels. People just have different preferences and favor different styles or bike setups.
I don't think you're wrong, I just have no way to test this. 29ers seem like they have heavy steering to me. For big chunk I'm not sure the slightly taller wheel really makes a difference. For smaller chatter, I'd be willing to bet it does make more of a difference. Either way, you probably won't see me on a 29er, because like you, I like getting as rowdy as possible.

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
I manage a local park and see very talented riders daily and none of them put a big emphases on wheel size. Heck most these guys can send whatever they get on with out issues. I've seen people whip, pop, table, and so on on a 29 plus bike without issues. Maybe for the average Joe it might make a difference but I consider myself a little above average (at least for these parts) and to me wheel size and popping off of stuff or whips for that matter really doesn't matter much. Sure it's a touch harder to get the whip back around for a straight landing but really no biggie once it get use to.

I'm not saying the little wheel guys are wrong, I go back and forth between most wheel sizes and really don't notice that much of a difference as far as fun factor in the air and pop. There are a few differences trail riding and charging DH lines but they all have their trade offs but fun is the same on either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.