Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I'm usually a roadie who just recently dusted off my 1999 stumpjumper hardtail and remembered how fun MTBin is. A friend offered to give me his 01 superlight frame to start a build. My question is: Are those first generation FS bikes much of an upgrade over a hardtail? Should I just waive the generous offer and save up for a newer frame. I think the superlight would be perfect for the type of riding I enjoy, but I have a few concerns about such an old frame. How much has SC updated the frame over the years? I know 07 was a big change. Would an 01 be junk compared to the newer stuff or would it be a nice ride compared to my old hardtail? Thanks.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The frames changed geometry to work with longer travel forks, They still have 4 inches in the rear. You can upgrade the rear shock with something with platform. The shocks have changed more than that single pivot frame. I believe these frames started the suspension revolution. It is way better than a HT on rough trails.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
im still riding my 01 SL. great bike. itd be ncie to be able to put a 120mm fork on it, but I do just fine with my Fox F100. I say go for it. especially if its free! if you dont want it, I'll take it!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm no expert but, have owned 2 of the first gen. Superlights and IMO they're way better than any hardtail. Build it up you'll love it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
A friend offered to give me his 01 superlight frame[/QUOTE said:
never drop a friend's offer :)
just use a 'float rp23' shox, if you can afford, in order to enjoy the
benefits new full suspension tech on a good old school frame!
you'll rediscover the fun of riding again :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts