Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started putting together a quick serial number database. Right now I have 20 bikes listed and would like to get more. Someday I'd like to post them online if I ever get a site going... Anyway, if youve got one, lets get your serial number listed. So far the range goes from #19 built in 1982 to number 258 built in September of 92 which is probably pretty close to the end of bikes with his name on the downtube.... And why not post a pic while youre here. :)

Carsten, I dont have yours yet...

G

·
Fillet-brazed said:
Carsten, I dont have yours yet...
i've tried hard but cannot read it, paint is too thick...

Edit: i can only see 5 numbers, not 6 like the others. it's either 01703 or 91703. latter is most likely and would make more sense but then the month of production would be missing...

sneak preview, still missing some parts (see sig...)

Carsten

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
Carsten said:
i've tried hard but cannot read it, paint is too thick...

sneak preview, still missing some parts (see sig...)

Carsten
My bike!
;)

Looks good Carsten.

The serial number was hard to read on mine too. I had to hold it at an angle in good light. You might be able to put a piece of paper over the BB area and run (the side part) of a pencil over it to see if you can get a trace of it.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
Carsten said:
Edit: i can only see 5 numbers, not 6 like the others. it's either 01703 or 91703. latter is most likely and would make more sense but then the month of production would be missing...
But then the production number would be too high (#703)...hmmm...

Of course, this is also assuming Steve's naming convention is perfect, which I'm not sure it is. :)

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Mine is from 1992, and was apparently a rush job, as he didn't bother with a serial number. :( Also, it's TIGed not fillet brazed. Am I still in the club?

G

·
Rumpfy said:
But then the production number would be too high (#703)...hmmm...

Of course, this is also assuming Steve's naming convention is perfect, which I'm not sure it is. :)
yes, i also doubt that he has built that many frames in one year... anyways, with Steve being such a perfectionist i would be surprised if he did not keep track of the frames he has built?!

Carsten

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
Carsten said:
yes, i also doubt that he has built that many frames in one year... anyways, with Steve being such a perfectionist i would be surprised if he did not keep track of the frames he has built?!

Carsten
He does have a couple 'little black books' with all the serial numbers and frame size. Pretty old school. :D

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
laffeaux said:
Mine is from 1992, and was apparently a rush job, as he didn't bother with a serial number. :( Also, it's TIGed not fillet brazed. Am I still in the club?
Seeing as how he only made...what was it...10 of those 'Steelhead' frames, maybe they didn't need serial numbers? :D

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
crconsulting said:
Ha, too funny, at first glance they looked white.

a little dust looks right at home on that bike :)
There is a bit of dust on the bike (but mostly scratches), but the tires are actually gray. They do look nice on the bike, and they work okay (definitely better tires out there).

I can't wait for the trees, flowers, and grass to look like that again. In fact I'd be happy with temp above the magic 32 degree mark. :|

·
Registered
508 Posts
here is #591237

man! i sure dig that Steelhead of yours laffeux! those things are just straight tough looking, not to mention steve said he had to build them for the local rippers that would whup the lightweight filletbrazed bikes. I dig it for sure, thanks for sharing.

here is mine, #591237, the invoice for original sale from april 92, this bike matches the bigger one owned by Pottster and Steve himself.

ok, thanks for the thread and hard work FB.

nate

Attachments

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
Here's mine...

...no serial number visible, a tig/fb'ed model. Delivered to me in February of 1992.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you are also original owners?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 415 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.