Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting people ready to VOTE VOTE VOTE for the upcoming Bell Built Trailbuilding Grant which would go a long way toward completing the CAL FIRE / MBoSC 4 mile Flow Trail in Soquel Demonstration State Forest (Demo).

Voting starts April 7th. Let's win this!!!

Here is the link: http://www.bellhelmets.com/bellbuilt

Here is an article detailing the opportunity: New trail up for Bell grant - Santa Cruz Sentinel

Thanks!!!!

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,204 Posts
That's like, so far off - we still have a whole weekend before we can vote! Ugh. The suspense!

·
Registered
751 Posts
kind of a bummer that Stafford Lake Bike Park and Demo have to face off against each other. I've got to represent the North Bay and vote for Stafford but regardless I hope the grant $$$ stays in California!

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Stafford Park is a demo for community biking that is something other than XC.

Demo is, well, Demo. ;)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
kind of a bummer that Stafford Lake Bike Park and Demo have to face off against each other. I've got to represent the North Bay and vote for Stafford but regardless I hope the grant $$$ stays in California!
OK time to get all political & $h!t - we probably can't win this thing if the Norcal vote gets split between these 2 (anyone remember Season 4 of The Wire when Carcetti splits the black vote between Royce and Gray to win for Mayor - we can't let Carcetti win again!)

I propose some sort of primary election in the Norcal party to see who represents in the general election - could be an MTBR survey by 4/7? Or maybe Squashyo can thumb war or arm wrestle a Stafford representative for it?

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
Or maybe Squashyo can thumb war or arm wrestle a Stafford representative for it?
Mud wrestle (we could sell tickets).

And this time: It's personal!

They haven't even broken ground at Stafford yet, right? The Bell Grant would help the Demo Endur(fl)o(w) Trail™ get completed by this time next year. Four miles of flow, berms, and jumps. Four miles... Then Stafford could still apply for the grant next year. Win-win-ride.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,204 Posts
I would prefer the project with 4 miles of down with 1300' of elevation loss... :) But that's sad that we have to compete. I want to support both.

·
screamer
1,361 Posts
Not trolling here at all: serious question! Can anyone characterize where the two projects are in terms of % funded? While I'd like to support both (wouldn't we all?), I would think it makes sense to send the $$ to the project that needs it the most. Correct me if I'm wrong: sometimes getting matching funds is easier if there's already a solid cash base in hand.

·
roadie
744 Posts
Not trolling here at all: serious question! Can anyone characterize where the two projects are in terms of % funded? While I'd like to support both (wouldn't we all?), I would think it makes sense to send the $$ to the project that needs it the most. Correct me if I'm wrong: sometimes getting matching funds is easier if there's already a solid cash base in hand.
that's a good question. and i don't know the answer.

and i'll be the first to admit i don't even know exactly what the Bell Built Grant is. i understand that it is $100K in grants to fund three mountain bike trails. ok, so...

how is the grant distributed? is the "money" split evenly? based on need? magic eightball?

re: "money." what is the value assessed to IMBA trail solutions? (i.e. how much of the $100K is in USD and how much of it is tallied in IMBA man(person)-hours?)

:confused:

but we could raise some money with the mud wrestling thing.. just sayin'

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
I'm not 100% sure (but pretty close). Bell will basically be hiring the IMBA Trail Solutions crew to go out and provide $33k of muscle, machinery, and engineering for the 3 winners. If the flow trail won, they may come in and complete one whole segment, for example. Or if it was a bike park, they'd bring in an earth mover and build all the jumps.

·
Yeti SB95c
1,374 Posts
We should have plenty of tech IPO winners who could just write a check for $100K. Name a segment for them. I don't understand why fundraising is so hard anymore. Find a few techie founders or senior employees in Facebook, Zynga, whatever and done. Some of these guys must be on the trails.

About 14 years ago some Netscape young retirees had piles of money and were bored. They were buying exotic motorcycles and still bored. Now there are 1000x that many in the Bay Area.

If everyone engaged with other MTBers and asked questions we should be able to meet the right people.

Meanwhile, vote Demo for the Bell thing.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
We should have plenty of tech IPO winners who could just write a check for $100K. Name a segment for them. I don't understand why fundraising is so hard anymore. Find a few techie founders or senior employees in Facebook, Zynga, whatever and done. Some of these guys must be on the trails.

About 14 years ago some Netscape young retirees had piles of money and were bored. They were buying exotic motorcycles and still bored. Now there are 1000x that many in the Bay Area.

If everyone engaged with other MTBers and asked questions we should be able to meet the right people.

Meanwhile, vote Demo for the Bell thing.
OK - that settles it then - pay up nerds - I need to get some sort of benefit for paying this kind of rent!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The fear about vote splitting is a reality - Stafford Lake currently has 65 votes, and Demo 37, for a total of 102. The Flow trail in OR has 71 votes, so is on track to pull in the most votes.

The funding goal for Stafford is $850,000. Right now, they are at about $370,000; but even though they have only reached a little over 40% of the goal, they are still on track to break ground this year. As far as I can tell, the funding goal for Demo is a total of $100,000, not sure how far along they are with that goal but. Based on a few things, I am voting for Stafford: (1) they need the money more in order to reach the total funding goal; (2) the project is much bigger, and will cater to a wider variety of bikers; (3) Demo should be able to get to the $100,000 goal without the Bell Grant; (4) it will irritate the **** out of the anti-biking people in Marin; (5) I live closer - although of course this has nothing to do with it :)

C'mon people hurry up and vote and stop that money going to OR or AZ!!

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fear mongering thread hijacker alert. ;)

All due respect but you guys have a rad flow trail and we don't. I dig what you guys are up to but we really need this to make a world class trail on this side of the Bay...you guys have plenty and are closer to other world class destinations. Sure we have sick renegade **** but this is a game changer. What we are doing could completely open doors to acres upon acres of fresh new dirt all over the Bay and coast.

It's a bummer that there is a split here. I'd truly love to support the Stafford initiative but the grant would really, really help us out and we really, really do need it! Really. Please vote Demo Flow Trail!!!!

1 - 20 of 118 Posts