Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First things first...
I traded my Fuji Roubaix Road Bike for an Ironhorse MKIII Elite Frame(08). I hated to trade straight out but selling my bike for cash was slow going and the LBS owner had his personal trail bike setup for sale so talked him into a trade situation.

Ive seen the AM setup sticky (however i cant seem to view all the pages, they show up blank except the first one) and there is an Ironhorse show off on here too I believe. Basically I was looking to hear everyone's opinions on building this bike. I am think of leaning towards the AM side of things but being able to handle a little XC would be nice too since there are alot of those trails near me and not being able to climb would simply suck. I am currently thinking about a fork with 140mm of travel, Hayes Stroker Ace brakes, and that is about all the decisions I have made. Budget is a factor, but knowing where to save and where to splurge is good info to know. This is my first build and a little direction steering would be great So any comments, concerns, trepidations, anxieties would be greatly appreciated...your knowledge of what works as well as what doesnt is all welcome!

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
splurge on fork and a wheelset. not sure what your budget is, but if you can wait for a deal, you can have a super build. up here in canada, i'm kind of lucky because i have an offseason. so i watch and wait. but anyway, i think my build is easily aggressive xc-am. i went with king/syncros wheelset, '09 fox float 140, hayes strokers thomson seatpost/stem and xt cranks. pretty light, but durable. go basic for a rear shock - she doesn't need anything fancy. i went with a 2003 float ava just rebuilt by PUSH. tires will be decided by how and where you ride..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The frame actually came with the rear shock, fox float...its somewhat an off season, still a bit cold (except for today) middle tn weather, if you dont like it now wait 24 hours...it will change haha! ive been looking into a 24/36 truativ stylo crank but not sure what ill be losing with the loss of the third ring...

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
depends on your terrain. i never use the big ring and i rarely use the granny, so i could go 1x2, but i'll stick with 2x9 just in case

·
Registered
190 Posts
just got my 2008 mk3 frame too and im doing an all mountain build on it. just ordered some of my parts.

but here is the build that im doing so far

marzocchi 55r fork 140mm

avid juicy 7 breaks 185f 160r

truvatic stylo 3.3 cranks

crank bros candy pedals

shimano deore xt shadow rear deraillieur and xt front, not sure what one yet.

xt rapidfire front shifters

easton vice stem 85mm

easton ea70 monkeybars mid rise

sette apx seat post and lock on grips and qr seat post clamp

wtb laser v pro saddle

and a sram chain and cassette

and for the wheels i really wanted the spank subrosa wheels in green but i found some really sweet deals on bicycle wheel warehouse. and im probley going with the mavic en 321 rims with 20mm quando front hub and xt rear.

and for tires im thinking kenda nevegals 2.35 and mabey a small block 8 in the rear.

should be done in a month or less i cant friken wait!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a Warrior (the model line below the MKIII) build kit on my MKIII. Rockshox tora 289 fork, Sram x7 rd, shimano hone fd, and avid bb5 brakes. It is about 33 lbs. I went for bargains over weight savings.

I had a FSA 22-32-44 crankset, but I switched to a Truvativ Hussfelt (heavy, I know, but it was $25) 22-36-bash. I was worried cause I never used the middle ring and used the big ring for all the time, but I took a chance and couldn't be happier. I hardly ever use 2-9 and when I do, I don't spin out.

If I were you, I'd get a Tora or a Marzocchi AM 2 for $230 on pricepoint. It is 150mm of travel, but it looks nice and gets good reviews. The Tora is a bit heavy on paper, but I don't notice.

Definitely get clipless pedals. I don't know if you were planning to, but it is definitely worth it. I just got them and they make a huge difference.

For brakes, don't get BB5's. They give more trouble than they're worth. I just ordered some Avid Juicy 5's.

Lastly, for shifters, I prefer Sram to Shimano. I ride Sram, but my friend has Shimano. I am constantly hurting my hands on them when I ride his bike. They are just in the way.

Btw, I thought you said you got a whole bike. Are these just upgrades?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I traded my road bike (assembled) for the mountain frame...I could have gotten a whole bike but 1...i didnt like the build 2...he wanted way too much money for the thing. He wanted 1400 for the frame till i traded the bike. Which was a deal since I wouldnt have even gotten the 800 needed to get a frame from rscycle. Im hoping to start the build soon!

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is anyone's experience with the Talas fork from fox. I am liking the quick travel change adjustment, cant really decide on the 32 or 36 160mm sounds nice but that may be too much for the frame idk...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
saturnine said:
can't say a 32 talas would be terribly useful on this bike. anything less than 130mm up front would be totally wacky.
You think? The bike originally had a 100mm fork on it from the LBS. The Fox website is not bringing up the 32 talas so I cant read the details but it comes in 2 versions All with 3 different travel settings. No less than 100 (i think) no more than 150...The 36 talas is 100/130/160...I think I like the sound of that. Especially with rebound and compression settings too...almost like 3 bikes in one. Unless im missing something? With the multi purpose nature im looking for i think that might be the ticket

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Final13 said:
What is anyone's experience with the Talas fork from fox. I am liking the quick travel change adjustment, cant really decide on the 32 or 36 160mm sounds nice but that may be too much for the frame idk...
First off, been mtbing for 25 years, and ridding a MKIII for the past 1.5 years. In that time I have run a 2008 pike uturn, 2008 talas 32, 2009 talas 32, and 2009 talas 36 on it. Where I live and ride the climbs are steep and long, so an adjustable travel fork is really helpful, totally worth the cost. On the MKIII 100-140mm travel is perfect. Less than 100mm its twitchy, more than 140mm steering is really slow and handling is awkward. If you do any extended climbing, get an adj. travel fork, you will not regret it. Personally I think the besty fork for this bike it the talas 32 (100-140mm), its a great match to the fox float on the rear.
Selling both the 2008 Talas 32 RLC, the 2009 Talas 36 RC2 and a buch of new and used wheels. Send a PM if interested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.