Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok people. First of all I know I'm not as cool as all of you since I don't own an Ibis. I concede that point from the get go. Now that's aside I need some assistance. I just recently received a warranty replacement frame from Trek and found out that due to the design of the frame it is prone to down tube dents. (bottom side of the down tube is mainly flat) So here is where you guys come in. Ibis makes a down tube guard that can be had for 29.99 but I don't want to waste my money if it will not work on my bike. So here is my question if you own one of these sweet peace of protection goodness can I come see it and try it on my bike? The next option is if you have been wanting to get one for your bike order it and I will cover the shipping for you if you let me try it on my bike. Thanks for your time people :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I think the protector that Ibis makes is mostly to protect the cables that run along the downtube, though I'm sure it helps the frame as well.

I don't have one, but I think it screws into the bottle cage mounts, plus another one near the top. You could use a zip tie.

You could also use an old fender, or a piece of plastic cut to fit.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I doubt that piece of plastic is going to do anything to prevent dents, its just a cable cover, now if you could get one molded out of thick carbon you might be onto something ;)

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Guru is right.
The protector mounts using the 2 water bottle cage bolts, so if you have those mounting should be fairly easy. You may need some double sided tape to hold the upper part on though.

I have one and it's not currently mounted to the bike yet; just got it Friday.
The protector is pretty strong plastic and would help with dent prevention, to a point. It's got a rounded profile to match the Mojo, so it may not be a super fit for the Trek.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANK YOU for the prompt responses. I think this might work. My EX 9 does have the water bottle bolts and I'm more so looking for protection from stuff being flung back from the front wheel. I know that if I Hit something with the frame that there is only so much any guard can do.

Dan51 or if I may, Dan the man can I come visit and try your guard out? I don't drink but I can and am willing to bring you, your choice of beverage for your services.

THANKS

·
Registered
315 Posts
bigpete61,
What year EX 9 are you riding and what exactly is the problem you are having? I have the same bike and I don't want to deal with having to warranty the frame.

bigpete61 said:
THANK YOU for the prompt responses. I think this might work. My EX 9 does have the water bottle bolts and I'm more so looking for protection from stuff being flung back from the front wheel. I know that if I Hit something with the frame that there is only so much any guard can do.

Dan51 or if I may, Dan the man can I come visit and try your guard out? I don't drink but I can and am willing to bring you, your choice of beverage for your services.

THANKS

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a 2010 EX9 Frame. I have put some frame skin type tape on it but was looking for something a little more stronger.

atothers said:
bigpete61,
What year EX 9 are you riding and what exactly is the problem you are having? I have the same bike and I don't want to deal with having to warranty the frame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts