Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stoked, I found a nice green bean CC locally - it's probably my favorite surly color.

Give me some build ideas - post yours here!

And your super huge tired monstercross CC's!

·
541 Posts
Definately a cool bike. You will find out from nyone who has had one for any length of time they have built it a bunch of different ways.

Just build it and make it yours. Who needs ideas?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have the firecross tires as well- I ended up nipping the side-lugs off the rear wheel for better clearance, FWIW. Otherwise a great monstercross tire!

·
Registered
245 Posts
dankilling said:
I have the firecross tires as well- I ended up nipping the side-lugs off the rear wheel for better clearance, FWIW. Otherwise a great monstercross tire!
I trimmed the lugs as well but mostly for clearance in the fork and a bit of insurance if I buckle a wheel in a race. It's a great tyre if you're pretending to be a mountainbike but has a lot of rolling resistance on pavement. I think a 42mm tyre that rolls better on the road would suit me better but these have a folding bead and I have to order stuff like this from America as cyclocross is almost unheard of in New Zealand.

It's a fun bike. I'm travelling much further afield than on my SS Pugsley but still hitting the dirt!

Photos from yesterdays ride:

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
western high plains said:
Beautiful! I now know what tires I'm ordering. Thanks for sharing.

Here's my newly acquired CC, it doesn't look like much but I have a lot of parts coming.
That green-bean is definitely the best colour.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i have an LHT, a BD, and just recently built a pugs.
My next bike (after a few enhancements to the current fleet) will be the CC.
i am planning a disc fork, 2.0 big apps, flipflop hub (fixed/ss). this will be my fast cruising the town bike. i have even [shamefully] put together a fantasy build sheet for it. i am going to see how the ole knees take it and if it's not good, i will strip the fixed build and go to the next in my bike continuum: the fully geared century machine. nice that you can do both well cause of the horizontal drops.
also check out the surly bike builds flickr group for a LOT of ideas.
what kind of drive train are you lookin at?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going 1x9 with nitto promenade bars as of now. A bit upright but I'm building this now to relieve my KM of commuter duties and put it back to mountain bike status.

I mostly bought this on a whim though, I absolutely love this color, it was cheap, my size and on my local craigslist. Enough of an excuse to proceed.

·
Registered
306 Posts
that's hilarious, i just got my wife an ss cross check on craigslist too for her birthday last month. its pretty sweet as is. then i got her some promenade bars, brake levers, and toptube pad for xmas. she wants to put in a 1x8 drivetrain. the frame is black and she wants to get it sandblasted then clear coated. i really dig the idea of a quick city bike based on the cc.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The green bean is one of my top two colors (I also like the Boston baked bean). Too bad it's missing a few braze ons that appeared later (a second eyelet on the dropout and rack mounts).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts