Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've my M3 for about a year now, and it's an awesome tool. There's only one aspect buggin me recently: Most tracks I ride are very tight, so I'm entertaining the idea of shortening the wheelbase by reproducing the bolt-on dropouts with a different set that should bring the wheel half an inch closer to the BB. I never ride tires wider than 2.5. With Minions and C 24 there's plenty of space left.

Now, would this affect other aspects of the bike's geometry or handling? Is the VPP force equation affected if I pay attention to it that the BB stays level? Or is half an inch simply to little to notice?
Before you all shout to buy an uzzi in stead: I'm open to that, but having a set of long and short dropouts (or a slotted set) would leave me the choice between tight handling and high speed stability.
Actually.... Same qeustion but opposite: Uzzi riders, do you find your wheelbase shortish for high speed stability? Did anyone consider longer dropouts?

I know there are some tech heads here as well as some Intense factory folk, so can you guys chip in your 2C?

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
The first thing I am curious about is tire clearance to the seat tube. Have you removed the shock to see how close the tires gets to the frame?

I'm not sure what fork you're using, but can you raise the legs in the crown? This will make the bike more responsive in tight twisties.

No complaints with the VPX.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
About shortening the dropouts, you may run into interference with the tire rubbing the seat tube under full compression, hence the bent seat tube on the SOCOM. Not saying it wouldn't work but just something to consider before dumping the design time and money into the new style dropouts. If it works out post some pics! Cool idea you have, and I'd bet you could give Jeff @ Intense a call and discuss this with him and get his 2 cents.......who knows...maybe they tried that already when designing that frame and they had to settle for what they found to work best. Ride On- E

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
experiment failed.
The calculations looked good, but in reality it won't be possible to shorten more than a few milimeters, which is not enough to make up for the hassle. Unless the axle would also move down, and then the consequences for the geometry are out of control. I guess them boys at intense got their act together when they sized it up to 17.25
Case closed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.