Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '96 SuperV has taken quite the beating over the years in the BB shell area (1st pic). So after some clean up and repair work, I set out to create some way to protect what's left of the aluminum in the BB shell area. What resulted (I think) is sheer, Wile E. Coyote, super-genius stuff.

I took an old e-type derailleur and modified the mounting plate (2nd pic) with the help of a hacksaw and my trusty Dremel.

I mounted it up with the existing BB cartridge just to see how it would look and how the chain line would line up (3rd pic). As you can see, it looks sweet!! Totally functional too.

Now, here's where I need some help.

The existing BB cartridge (68 x 113) gets shifted to the drive-side 2mm due to the e-type plate. This throw's the chainline off. Not much, but just a bit. It's probably rideable, but I'd like to do it right.

The question is, if I buy an BB cartridge intended for an e-type derailleur, will that put the chainline back to it's "original" alignment (or close to it?).

Attachments

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
My '96 SuperV has taken quite the beating over the years in the BB shell area (1st pic). So after some clean up and repair work, I set out to create some way to protect what's left of the aluminum in the BB shell area. What resulted (I think) is sheer, Wile E. Coyote, super-genius stuff.

I took an old e-type derailleur and modified the mounting plate (2nd pic) with the help of a hacksaw and my trusty Dremel.

I mounted it up with the existing BB cartridge just to see how it would look and how the chain line would line up (3rd pic). As you can see, it looks sweet!! Totally functional too.

Now, here's where I need some help.

The existing BB cartridge (68 x 113) gets shifted to the drive-side 2mm due to the e-type plate. This throw's the chainline off. Not much, but just a bit. It's probably rideable, but I'd like to do it right.

The question is, if I buy an BB cartridge intended for an e-type derailleur, will that put the chainline back to it's "original" alignment (or close to it?).
Yes it will. An E-type specific bottom bracket drive side flange is slightly outboard (2mm) to compensate for the E-type derailleur mount. And E-type bb should bring you right back in to spec.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Results

Here's the results of this project!!

Pic1: The new "eType" bottom bracket is on the right, the old/original on the left.

Pic2: Chain guide all mounted up with the new BB

Pic3: Drivetrain installed. Perfect!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts