Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the preliminary stages of ordering an Epic Mountaineer. I understand that patience is of the utmost importance when ordering a frame from Curtlo; might any of you Curtlo owners be so kind as to post a few pics on this thread?

I figure it might just make the lead-time seem a bit shorter.

Gracias

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Glad to see someone else is in the same boat as me. I just ordered an Advanced Mountaineer (about 3 weeks ago). When I was talking to Doug, he said time to completion is about 10 weeks.

How far along are you? I can't wait.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My 03 Mountaineer

Very nice ride. Fillet brazed frame. Curved seat stays. But I like my IF Deluxe a little better. The blue one is a 02 mountaineer Solo with track dropouts curved stays and v- mounts, and the third one is I think a 92 Aluminum Curtlo,It has canti stop

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quite the collection

chruby99 said:
Very nice ride. Fillet brazed frame. Curved seat stays. But I like my IF Deluxe a little better. The blue one is a 02 mountaineer Solo with track dropouts curved stays and v- mounts, and the third one is I think a 92 Aluminum Curtlo,It has canti stop
Impressive line-up; I really appreciate you taking the time to forward the pics!:thumbsup: My frame will have paragon adjustable dropouts, and will be prepped for (future) use as a geared hard tail; it'll be set up as a single speed for a while (maybe forever!)

Any words of wisdom you can offer for dealing with Curtlo? Anything I should be aware of or pay special attention to?

Also, how do you like your White Bros. sussy fork? I ride a Pace RC31 XC rigid carbon fork, but I've got a buddy who just ordered a White Bros. for his Ti Quireing frame.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
395 Posts
well

I have never had any complaints about my frame. I love the curved stays and them brazed joints.

as for forks, I love White Brothers forks. They are really a set it and forget it fork. the one pictured is a 05 XC.8 so it has a manual lockout if you like rigid. I also have an 00 XC-4 air sprung and air dampened fork that is also awesome. Very rigid forks, very easy to service very light weight. bothe weight in between 3-3.5 Not bad for a fork that has 32mm stanction and @ 8 inches of steerer. My next fork and most likely the one after that will be a White Brothers.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I placed my order for mine at the beginning of February. On February 1, I heard from Doug in my initial "interview" about what I wanted, etc. He said he's sure he'd have more questions for me and that he'd follow up (which I assume means that at the time, we'll talk about how I want the cable stops put on, etc). He quoted me 10 weeks to complete the bike and I made my deposit. Now, 4 weeks later, I haven't heard anything from him in regards to the finer details or what color I'd like, etc.

My question is, is this common? Seems to me that letting 4 to 5 weeks go by without even letting me know where the project stands is absurd. I really don't want to bother him as I'm sure he's busy, but I'm beginning to wonder if he has forgotten. Any advice?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
at the risk of sounding cliche, "patience is a virtue." Doug Curtiss has a stellar reputation as a custom frame builder, and you're right, he does stay very busy. Most Curtlo owners I've been in contact with all agree one two things;
1. Quality of the end-product is very good!
2. Well worth the wait, and you will wait!
I placed my order closer to the middle of February, at which time I submitted the required measurements, and also a few pics of me on my current bike. I have emailed Doug since then several times to "follow up" on the emails I've sent. Doug has always made the time to return my emails. I think that the "finer details" will be critical later on in the actual build stage, so I wouldn't worry much. Either send him an email or give him a call. Keep me posted on how things progress.

·
Registered
25 Posts
New2SS said:
I placed my order for mine at the beginning of February. On February 1, I heard from Doug in my initial "interview" about what I wanted, etc. He said he's sure he'd have more questions for me and that he'd follow up (which I assume means that at the time, we'll talk about how I want the cable stops put on, etc). He quoted me 10 weeks to complete the bike and I made my deposit. Now, 4 weeks later, I haven't heard anything from him in regards to the finer details or what color I'd like, etc.

My question is, is this common? Seems to me that letting 4 to 5 weeks go by without even letting me know where the project stands is absurd. I really don't want to bother him as I'm sure he's busy, but I'm beginning to wonder if he has forgotten. Any advice?
Just as an FYI - I put my deposit down on Jan-18 and was quoted an 8 week lead time (fully expecting 10+ weeks). It has been almost 7 weeks since then and I'm still waiting to receive a drawing / draft of the frame geometry to approve.

Thanks to all that have posted their pichers - it helps show that good things come to those who wait.

·
H8 H8 H8
864 Posts
Curtlo Support Group

I haven't laid hands on mine yet, but it's finished and on the
way. Here's a sneak peak -

Attachments

·
H8 H8 H8
864 Posts
Wait time

Suds said:
How long did it take you to get to this point?
15 weeks.

YMMV

Also, this was over the Holidays, which may have had
something to do with it.

ZB

·
Registered
25 Posts
Broussard said:
15 weeks.

YMMV

Also, this was over the Holidays, which may have had
something to do with it.

ZB
Thanks for the update.

In that case, it is 8 weeks down (total quoted delivery time) and 7 weeks to go for me?

I honestly don't mind waiting 15 weeks for a quality and value product, but I would just prefer that this was told to me upfront.

Hope you enjoy your new ride once it arrive to your doorstep.

Cheers - Suds

·
H8 H8 H8
864 Posts
I understand...

Suds said:
Thanks for the update.

In that case, it is 8 weeks down (total quoted delivery time) and 7 weeks to go?

I honestly don't mind waiting 15 weeks for a quality and value product, but I would just prefer that this was told to me upfront.

Hope you enjoy your new ride once it arrive to your doorstep.

Cheers - Suds
My wait time was significantly longer than quoted, but this was the bike I wanted,
so I tried to go in with the attitude of "I'll get it when I get it." I'm not really sure
why he doesn't just quote longer lead times from the outset, but that's his choice.

I don't think Doug puts a lot of emphasis on communication until it's your turn.
Once my number came up, we went through detail design and two drawing revisions
in about 36 hours. When it's your turn in the barrel, things will happen fast.

I choose to view it this way - The less time he spends talking and the more time
he spends building, the faster we all get our bikes.

I expect we will both be very happy in the end.

Enjoy,
ZB

·
Registered
44 Posts
'99

My Advanced Mountaineer
I got it in '99. I've had a few shock setups on it and have now gone rigid. Kelly Disc. I LOVE this bike! Fast, Light and tracks like a Hound Dog!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 177 Posts