Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 18 months ago, Hollywood posted (on the SS forum) a good bit about various cyclists surrounded by much lore. It was an inspiration at the time, bike-wise, but has pushed me into other realms, too. I've got a significant project for a class I'm not too nuts about (in folklore-come-pop-culture-lore), and have decided - probably against my best interests - to work from the wilds of cycling.

All I want are stories, stuff I won't find digging through the archives. I don't need names (they'll be left out anyway), or even really precise locations - just tales of grandeur, stupidity, crashes, achievements, inferiority, unsurmountable odds, equipment failure and money wasted, alcoholism, nudity, politics, etc, etc: Alex on his BMX-bike exploits, that guy who jumped the cruiser at Sea Otter last year, Rudy on his fixie... That kind of stuff.

Pictures are great; this won't ever be published (I'm not a folklorist, and never will be), but proffer your name, or it'll be cited by your handle. Likewise, links to other resources, homepages, blogs, photo collections, etc are great too.

The best tale (yes, it's totally subjective) gets some free homebrew, because that's all I've got to give. :p

·
Ride Bikes, Drink Beer
148 Posts
Team Bad Boy

This is a pic of Team Bad Boys rigs. They all carry some ridiculously heavy gear on their bikes on weeklong tours such as RAGBRAI, Ride the Rockies and such. Starting on the left you have the grill, then the cooler, then the wet bar, and finally the stereo. This is the only pic I have but you could Google and find out more.

Attachments

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
I once knew

a pro in Brisbane who told me a story about the Aussie cyclist Martin Vinnicombe. Do you know/remember him? I think he won Commonwealth gold in the 1k track sprint thing mid-eighties.

Anyway, I was told that his nickname was "Pencil" beacuse of his favourite party-trick, which was to insert a complete pencil up the eye of his ....... - and which he was only too happy to perform in front of large party crowds.

Gotta wonder what that guy was on, if it is true.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.