Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, today was doing maintenance on my brakes, cleaning pistons and getting air out and adding bit mineral oil etc.

Noticed this upper bolt mount paint or carbon frame itself looks like cracked a bit.

There is no movement when i install and tighten the caliper bolts, ridden my bike too, nothing wrong with it, no weird sound or braking problem... Yet it is just cosmetic paint ? i put some nail polish on it but it doesn't cover it at all. Is this problem really something i should be aware of or i am fine ? Anybody else experience same problem ?

·
Banned
496 Posts
Ouch, you will know pretty quickly when you ride it. I have had the same crack on a bike before, it was just the paint and it cracked off after a few rides. If it is in the carbon, under heavy braking it will break off.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
that bike is done until repaired/replaced

sudden catastrophic brake caliper into wheel moment awaits...matter of time really

Reactions: 006_007

·
B A N N E D
5,394 Posts
Caliper mounting bolt too long?

The edges on the crack don't look very sharp, they look a bit like a imperfection in the finish.

Remove the caliper and see if the crack closes up.

edit.
I'm guessing that crack won't close up if it's full of nail polish.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

The edges on the crack don't look very sharp, they look a bit like a imperfection in the finish.

Remove the caliper off and see if the crack closes up.
Nothing change in crack area when i removed caliper. İt looks like paint bursted out from inside force.

Checked inside of Bolt hangar, nothing wrong. Pressing hard with my fingers and pulling to the sides. There is not a slight movement or sound. the black Lines are same.

Only pictured sides looks cracked but i do think its paint fall of because of high torque ? And its mount seems steel and wrapped with thick carbon layers.

·
Registered
10,244 Posts

Remove the caliper and see if the crack closes up.

edit.
I'm guessing that crack won't close up if it's full of nail polish.
This.

It appears that the op is hoping for someone to say it's ok to ride, or maybe put the shorter bolts in (which should have been used in the first place)

Really looks like an unfortunate learning (expensive) experience for the op.

OP - I would not ride this with the brake mount cracked the way it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.