Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized that with everyone posting weights of components that our scales are not calibrated. In other words, if I weigh my stem on my scale I might come up with 180 grams. If I weight the same part on another scale it might come back 160 grams. Nothing wrong with either scale but we cannot compare component weights this way because mines will always report parts as weighing more than on the second scale. This may be relevant to me on my own bike but on the Internet, where we can compare components bought by different people around the world, it does make a difference. The problem is that we need to find something that people can compare weights to. In the USA we can weigh ten quarters or average the weight of ten cans or Coca-cola or something. What do you folks think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
As long as people are using decent scales (I work in retail, so I use the scales are work which I know are accurate) it shouldn't be a problem. An easy way to check if you scale is reading correctly would be to zero it with a precise measuring device for water (EG a cup measure) then weigh it full of water. A cup (250ml) of pure water weighs exactly 250 grams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
I checked my scale

and my $0.01 scale from e-bay (plus $7.00 shipping) was over by 3 grams with the 250 gram cup of water.
As my cheap scale shows, I doubt that there would be a 20 gram difference with a modern scale at the 160 gram area of weight.

DFH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Your scale is off by 5.66882%

Some Guy said:
As long as people are using decent scales (I work in retail, so I use the scales are work which I know are accurate) it shouldn't be a problem. An easy way to check if you scale is reading correctly would be to zero it with a precise measuring device for water (EG a cup measure) then weigh it full of water. A cup (250ml) of pure water weighs exactly 250 grams.
A cup of water weighs 236.58823 grams....

If you've been weighing parts using a cup of water weighing 250 grams then your bike is much lighter than you been thinking.
 

·
Recovering couch patato
Joined
·
14,017 Posts
When you buy banana's at the supermarket (who doesn't?), put them on your own scale at home and compare.
Some products "Everyone" uses are so consistently made, you can calibrate scales with them. Like the 195g 9spd DA rear derailer. Or 223g 12-27 9spd Ultegra cassette, that sort of thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
Chester said:
A cup of water weighs 236.58823 grams....
Maybe you strange American types use a different size cup to us sensible people in metric countries - which is why I qualified to a 250ml cup measure.

One cubic centimeter is one millileter of water is one gram. Sensible huh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,402 Posts
I think the calibrating weights is the best idea. But hat brought this question to mind . . . WHat does one do if the scale is off? I have a scale but no idea how to make an adjustment if it is off.
 

·
no shoes no shirt no dice
Joined
·
125 Posts
I'm with most of the people on this board - as ong as you have a modern digital scale then it should not be out by too much. If you're measuring to sub gram level then calibration would be more of an issue.

I'm more concerned with the sometimes suspicious weights given fin parts lists for individual bikes on the various light bikes websites. This seems to be done IMHO just to cheat down the weight of the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Cheap scales can't be calibrated! If yours can, it will say so in the manual along how to do it...

I'm lucky; I have access to scales at work precise up to 0.0001g if I want! :D But then again, 1 gram precision is more than enough to get a good measure of your bikes weight!

Luego!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
How dare you call us "strange"

Some Guy said:
Maybe you strange American types use a different size cup to us sensible people in metric countries - which is why I qualified to a 250ml cup measure.

One cubic centimeter is one millileter of water is one gram. Sensible huh?
I don't know where you live, but you are skating on thin ice when you call Americans "strange".
After all, we've invaded many a nation for lesser slights.

Now, getting away from potential military interventions, I do see in looking around that not only Americans are "strange"

Cups.....cups......and more cups
1 US cup = 237 ml (milliliters),
1 UK cup = 284 ml,
1 Aus. cup = 250 ml

If this is going to be a international forum, then perhaps we should NOT be using cups of water as a measurement.
Granted you said, 250ml but all we read is "cup"..........Heck, in America we don't even know what a ml is.....
Some kind of strange measurement like.......meters, km, and the like...used by unusual backward peoples back in the old homelands of our ancient ancestors. Kind of like woolly mammonths and dinosaurs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Chester said:
I don't know where you live, but you are skating on thin ice when you call Americans "strange".
After all, we've invaded many a nation for lesser slights.

Now, getting away from potential military interventions, I do see in looking around that not only Americans are "strange"

Cups.....cups......and more cups
1 US cup = 237 ml (milliliters),
1 UK cup = 284 ml,
1 Aus. cup = 250 ml

If this is going to be a international forum, then perhaps we should NOT be using cups of water as a measurement.
Granted you said, 250ml but all we read is "cup"..........Heck, in America we don't even know what a ml is.....
Some kind of strange measurement like.......meters, km, and the like...used by unusual backward peoples back in the old homelands of our ancient ancestors. Kind of like woolly mammonths and dinosaurs.
Sorry, the metric standards are part of the Systeme International d'Unites, and the Americans are the only ones not adhering to the system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Just as I thought, a French conspiracy

Illimidwyn said:
Sorry, the metric standards are part of the Systeme International d'Unites, and the Americans are the only ones not adhering to the system.
"Systeme International d'Unites"........ I thought so, its those darn Frenchies trying to ruin the world by doing everything they can to stall the American march towards progress and perfection. Well, they'd better watch out or we'll take a "pound" of flesh out of their backsides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cloxxki said:
When you buy banana's at the supermarket (who doesn't?), put them on your own scale at home and compare.
Some products "Everyone" uses are so consistently made, you can calibrate scales with them. Like the 195g 9spd DA rear derailer. Or 223g 12-27 9spd Ultegra cassette, that sort of thing.
Thanks for that. My 12-27 9-speed Ultegra cassette weighs 228g. There's a 5 gram difference. Is that five grams from production tolerances or due to scale error?

We have calibration weights at work (with a big note next to them stating that you cannot touch them with your bare hands!!!) that I can probably use to see how close my scale is. At least I can get an idea how far off it is so I can have a correction factor to ensure that the weights I post and record are closer to what they should be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
Chester said:
you are skating on thin ice when you call Americans "strange".
Really?

in America we don't even know what a ml is.....
Seems pretty stange to me :).

If this is going to be a international forum, then perhaps we should NOT be using cups of water as a measurement.
As long as you know the volume of your cup in ml, there is nothing wrong with it.

Some kind of strange measurement like.......meters, km, and the like...used by unusual backward peoples back in the old homelands of our ancient ancestors. Kind of like woolly mammonths and dinosaurs.
FYI, it's the imperial system which is outdated and backward. Are you awear that most of the measurements currently used in the US date back to the middle ages? Have a read of http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/usmetric.html
 

·
Wiseass in real life too!
Joined
·
79 Posts
So you are going to calibrate a scale to a gram accuracy by using a cup with hash marks on the side?? Do you have a lab quality beaker to use? How do you account for the unknown weight of the container if you can't trust the accuracy of your scale?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
You are being tricked by those pro French, anti-English types

Some Guy said:
FYI, it's the imperial system which is outdated and backward. Are you awear that most of the measurements currently used in the US date back to the middle ages? Have a read of http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/usmetric.html
Oh come now, you don't really fall for that revisionist portrayal of history do you?

A quote from that link tells it all.....
"The metric system originated in France in the 1790's"

Exactly.......them Frenchies trying to foist their system upon the world.
Well we're onto their tricks. They may have the Tour d'France" but how often do they win the race?
Instead they attempt to slander Lance and indoctrinate the world with metric standards.
The tide is turning and from what I hear, the UCI weight limit is gonna be changed from
6.8 kilos to 15.0 pounds so we don't have to deal with all those decimal points.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top