Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just got a new fat bike for winter - it's got a suspension up front and 27.5 x 4.5 tires (not studded yet).

Initially I was planning to just use it for nose hill during ther winter, but I'm wondering if it would be alright for moose monomania while it's still nice out? I know I could do west bragg with it while its still warm, but have little experience on moose.

For anyone who rides moose frequently have you ever seen a fat bike out during the summer on 727 or race of spades? Are they doable on a fat bike?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Doesn't seem like there are many locals at Moose posting around here, but riding is riding, so I'll give my 2 cents.

Can you ride a fatbike on proper, mtb trails? Absolutely. Seen it done, I've done it myself. Is it the best tool for the job? Absolutely not. Head out to any set of trails and look at what the majority of people are riding. Here in BC and W.Alberta, 95% of people will be on 130-170mm travel full suspension trail/AM/enduro bikes as those are the best tools for the job. With of course slight variance based on whether people want a slightly better climbing or descending bike.

For various reasons, 5% of people do however trend away from the typical bikes for riding. It could be financial, it could they want to increase the challenge or frankly (like with rigid single speeders) they are just stubborn, grumpy and mentally unwell. (That's a joke)

Any bike can be ridden on any trail, it's just dependent on the pilot. About the only thing you can do is start taking your fatty out on some trails, and see if you are confident, capable and derive any pleasure from it. Then move on from there.

Personally, I think my fatbike handles like a drunken hippopotamus at the best of times. Certainly not my favorite for ripping MTB trails, but I have done it, its different, which is sometimes fun, but it's not typically my first, or second choice. Your mileage may vary, but you'll only find out by giving it a shot.

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
816 Posts
Why not.
I don't see any issue with it.
You may get looks but who cares.......they are just jealous!

That is what I think their thinking when I get the look, riding my Fatty!
There is a lot of awesomeness riding a fat bike!

Good luck!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Moose is just more tech than WBC and has full on dh trails. You can ride any bike on Pnuema, Moosepackers, Special K, Family guy, Shaft, Sulphur springs etc and have seen the entire gamut of bike out there over the years.

You could do the dh trails too but just don't expect to have as much fun. Or maybe you would? Who knows?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts