Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have previously mostly ridden xc in west bragg creek, but am looking to get a new bike and ride some of the moose mountain trails (race of spades, 727 for example). I don't plan to do any wooden features.

Given my aim for moose mountain, how much travel should I look for on a new bike: 140 front/130 rear or more like 160/150? I'd also like to use the same bike to ride the west bragg trails and want it to climb well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi,

I have previously mostly ridden xc in west bragg creek, but am looking to get a new bike and ride some of the moose mountain trails (race of spades, 727 for example). I don't plan to do any wooden features.

Given my aim for moose mountain, how much travel should I look for on a new bike: 140 front/130 rear or more like 160/150? I'd also like to use the same bike to ride the west bragg trails and want it to climb well.

Thanks.
130-140 fine.

if just moose, or one bike for moose and current for bragg, go 150-160

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Not from Calgary, but rather Interior BC, but I'm ridden pretty extensively across Canada (and US) and in general I think the bikes in the 140/140 range are really the best go anywhere, do anything bike, assuming a cross section of trail riding in the green to easy double black range.

The bikes in the 160/150mm range are nice, and if you are prepared to sacrifice some ability on the up, to have more fun on the down, totally worth it. But they can be excessive for a large portion of riding.

This is never an easy choice however, it's all about compromise (often).

I ride a 150mm 29er. It suits my needs, but I ride fairly aggressively and love technical trails with challenging features. I do however spend a lot of time pedaling it on epics and non technical trails and it can be a little overkill.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Speaking with the guys at the InsideLine in Calgary they had suggested 160 Front and 140/150 Rear. I've ridden 727 on with 3 different bikes in the 160-135 range in both 27.5 and 29 wheel sizes.

I'll ride Race of Spades this coming year.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,312 Posts
My Druid is killer for Moose and Husky Road riding. 150/130.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts