Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While Riding last Friday I noticed nothing in my right interior calf. then when driving home, I just barely rubbed it, and it is now - 5 days later- Black and Blue from about 1 inch below and behind my inside right ankle all the way up the inside of my calf to about 4 inches below my knee. It is almost impossible to rub without wincing in pain, and it causes me to limp to take the next step due to tightness in the calf.

The only thing I can think of is that I tore my calf muscle some how...maybe my position on the pedal, or seat is wrong...not sure.

Has anybody had a similar mishap? Do you just go to your regular Doc to have it looked at, or maybe a sports biomechanic facility. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I tore my hamstring this past winter. If you can walk, you really don't need to see a doctor. It will heal up on its own. It takes ~8 weeks to completely heal. I was in devistating pain the the night it happened to me, but I felt I was sufficiently healed two weeks later and I re-tore it. Give it 8 whole weeks where you take it super easy. Walk when you can do it with no pain, hike maybe, spin on the bike, but avoid snappy movements at all costs.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
denrgj said:
While Riding last Friday I noticed nothing in my right interior calf. then when driving home, I just barely rubbed it, and it is now - 5 days later- Black and Blue from about 1 inch below and behind my inside right ankle all the way up the inside of my calf to about 4 inches below my knee. It is almost impossible to rub without wincing in pain, and it causes me to limp to take the next step due to tightness in the calf.

The only thing I can think of is that I tore my calf muscle some how...maybe my position on the pedal, or seat is wrong...not sure.

Has anybody had a similar mishap? Do you just go to your regular Doc to have it looked at, or maybe a sports biomechanic facility. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
don't know if you tore the muscle or not but ice will help reduce the pain & swelling. also, when you can keep your leg elevated.

i tore the fascia just above my ankle on the outside of my right leg a bunch of years ago. there was a quick stinging sensation when it happened but it was easy enough to ignore until a couple hours later i noticed that it looked like someone had stuck 1/2 a grapefruit under the skin on the side of my leg and it was ringed with an ugly bruise. i went to see a doc (i went to a regular doc but i'd recommend, if you're going to go see one, to see a sports med doc) and after x-rays and some other tests they sent me home and told me to ice and take advil. it took a long time for the lump in my leg to go away but i don't remember how long i was "banned" from practice (i was a gymnast at the time).

rt

·
Registered
44 Posts
no worries

i had a similar injury not too long ago. i had no problems of any kind, then woke up one thursday morning and my left calf was killing me. i was limping a little in the morning, but as the day went on, it felt a little better. i had a race coming up on sunday, so i tried some light riding that night. no real problems. i thought maybe i had a bad knot or something, so i did some extra stretching after my ride. same deal for the next three days- sore in the morning, but not too bad once i was warmed up. i managed to do my race without too much trouble on sunday. on monday, i did a 60 minute recovery ride and a long stretching session. tuesday morning, i knew it was not a knot. now i really couldnt walk on it at all. i went to the doctor at school and she sent me to physical therapy dept. i did about 10 sessions over three weeks. my treatment there would start with a sonogram to warm up the tissue; some light cycling or stairclimbing for 10 minutes to limber up the muscle and connective tissues; foot extensions with a long rubber strip for resistance (by the end of pt i was just doing calf raises using my own weight as resistance); stretching; massage; cold wrap with electrical stimulation. i had to stay off the bike for two weeks (which was tough considering the race season had just started) during PT, but was doing light road riding the third week, and back on the trails the fourth week. i would definitely recommend going to see a physical therapist as soon as possible. good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.