Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 375 Posts

· Registered
2,336 Posts
Everyone in the Tahoe basin is affected by the smoke and ash already. Containment date was estimated to be 8/31.

Condolence to property owners for losses. Safe wishes to firefighters.

· Mtbr Founder
35,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wind forecast here. Currently 6mph blowing to the East. Tomorrow, shifting to the West. The wind will call the shot from here on i think.

· F*** it
1,273 Posts
I was camping just east of there a month ago. I couldn't believe they were still letting people make campfires. There are a lot of old-growth trees in that area and the terrain is rugged. This will be a(nother) bad one.

· I want to ride my bicycle
290 Posts
Not armchair qb'ing this one but Cal Fire hasn't put nearly enough resources on this. No air support, 23 engines and 10 dozers, 262 people.
Seems like all those fancy planes and helicopters are for Gavin Newsome photo opps, just saying.
This isn't accurate. The CalFire updates are a bit erroneous here. There was huge air support all day, I witnessed it. At least 6 different fixed wing aircraft that I saw myself and another 6 helicopters.

· Registered
896 Posts
Not armchair qb'ing this one but Cal Fire hasn't put nearly enough resources on this. No air support, 23 engines and 10 dozers, 262 people.
Seems like all those fancy planes and helicopters are for Gavin Newsome photo opps, just saying.
And from twitter at 5:38pm tonight:
#CaldorFire (#GrizzlyFlats, El Dorado Co/ENF) - All tankers are being placed on a hold or are being released to other fires due to the poor visibility. Prior to that they had been doing structure protection in the Omo Ranch area.

Might be best to leave the politics out of this one.

· F*** it
1,273 Posts
There's not a lot out by Omo Ranch but whatever. Wait, nevermind looks like a bunch of wineries just to the west. .
Sorry I offended you with a Gavin jab, it's no secret he lied about the work that was supposed to be done in the last year to hopefully prevent these events from happening again and again and again. Blame global weather I guess
If only we did a better job of raking the forest.

Regardless, we're having a serious drought and the hottest summer on record. Most of these fires are in national forests, btw, although the state supports the federal effort.

1 - 20 of 375 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.