Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I'm thinking of buying a Kona Caldera or a Cinder Cone. Unfortunately, though, the bikes aren't stocked nearby, so I would have to order. Before doing so, I've got a couple of questions about size and weight. I could really use some help from this forum.

First, I'm 5'8" tall with about a 30-31 inseam. Would I be better off going with a size 16 or a size 17. I'll be riding mostly XC, less technical stuff.

Second, I've read a couple of reviews that say these bikes are heavier than other brands' comparable hardtails. Do you find this to be true? How much heavier?

The tech specs on Kona's web site list the Caldera at 27.6 lbs (17") and the Cinder Cone at 28.7 lbs (16"). Do these weights tend to be accurate? If not, any idea what the actual weights are of these two bikes with their stock setups.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I've got some time to think about it, anyway. Talked to a couple of shops the other day, and apparently the Calderas are sold out and they can't order anymore 2004's. And I decided not to go with the 04 Cinder Cone. I'd rather have Hayes hydraulics. So now I'm waiting for the '05 models (though the 05 Caldera in cream isn't my favorite color).

Maybe then a shop nearby will stock a few models so I can do a test ride.

konameister said:
The 16" is way too small for you. I would even say that the 17" would be too small as well. If I were you I would go for an 18".

The only thing that supports the 17" is your inseam - but I would rather go for a frame that has the right length instead of the right standover height...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Late answer

I don't know if you bought one of these bikes,but I'm in the same situation.First,I wanted a Coiler but then change my mind.I thought about the kula:eek:ut of stock.Cindercone 04,18"is too big for me,17"seems better but my arms were so straight when I went on it.I cant wait to try the 16"with Hayes hydraulics but a bit afraid because if it is too small,there is no more 17"in the 05 series.PS,I'm alittle bit more than 5'7. :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.