Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting on my second bike build (a dirt jumper) and wondering the best way to get tube miter angles. For my last bike, I tried to use the free version of BikeCAD, but it wouldn't output angles and I had a hell of a time backing them out. Should I look into rattlecad? Was I missing something in BikeCAD?

For context, I'm looking at building a "standard" sized dirt jumper and am more concerned with the building of the bike than I am on geometry so looking for whatever the quickest solution is going to be. Right now, I don't think I'm interested in dropping the cash on BikeCAD pro.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've been through the same experience with my first and second builds. BikeCAD didn't give me the numbers I wanted so I tried RattleCAD. Manfred, the developer, was very helpful and I used the program to generate what I needed for build #1, but I had some issues with the results and struggled with making it do what I wanted for build #2. Eventually, I went back to BikeCAD for the design before drawing the final version 1:1 on paper from the basic geometry (reach, stack, head & seat angle, bb drop, etc). I took all the measurements I needed for the tubes from the drawing. Worked fine and didn't take long to do. I also liked having a full-sized drawing to work from.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@stuartm2 I like the idea of having a full size drawing, but not too sure of how to get it there. I may try to have a print shop blow it up to actual dimensions based off some of the dimensions I know about.

When you were drawing your final version, what kind of paper were you using and what did you go off to ensure you did it the same way you designed? I'm a little concerned about copying something completely wrong

·
Registered
94 Posts
@stuartm2When you were drawing your final version, what kind of paper were you using and what did you go off to ensure you did it the same way you designed? I'm a little concerned about copying something completely wrong
I bought a big roll of A0 cartridge paper, a long ruler, and a protractor from Amazon - all fairly affordable. The main thing is to ensure your construction grid with your key points (BB, HT top, rear axle) is perpendicular. Then joining the dots and filling the gaps from the Bikecad design is straightforward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.