Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
bi-winning
Joined
·
11,109 Posts
Weather conditions around here are rarely worse than a 5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Last nights ride would have only been a 2 unless riding at night on icy single track ups the factor by anything.
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
Pfft! I've done lunch rides in HC at both ends of the scale!

And as for skiing, fuggedaboudit! HC was the only game in town for the first two weeks of January! :D

I love Jens. I wonder if he's fully recovered from busting his face?
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
The Weather Network said:
Current Weather Updated: Friday, January 29, 2010, 15:00 EST - Pearson Airport
Toronto, ON

-11°C
A few clouds
* Feels Like: -20
* Wind: NW 33km/h
* Wind gusts: 44km/h
Let's see; today's lunch ride was just barely an HC but I'd say the fact that the winds were from the North push it solidly into the BLUE. I got brain freeze going past Canada's Wonderland. Ouchie! :D
 

·
bi-winning
Joined
·
11,109 Posts
So, what do people think of the new tune for the Weather Network's local forecast (tv)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,788 Posts
I think I just managed HC classification on my commute home late last night. I feel tough!
 

·
bi-winning
Joined
·
11,109 Posts
For HC rides, do you folks wear goggles? I find when it is that nasty outside, my eyes get really cold, and I don't enjoy that.
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
rkj__ said:
For HC rides, do you folks wear goggles? I find when it is that nasty outside, my eyes get really cold, and I don't enjoy that.
Sometimes but I have an impossible time trying to keep them from frosting up and they're vented downhill goggles and everything. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
rkj__ said:
For HC rides, do you folks wear goggles? I find when it is that nasty outside, my eyes get really cold, and I don't enjoy that.
I tried goggles last week on a night ride when it was -14 and they were great for a while. Then like Garage Monster said, they fogged up and then it was back to my regular glasses.
If I ride again in that kind of temp I will try them again but when I stop I will take them completely off so that no moist air from breathing gets on them. Once any moisture gets on the lens at that temp it pretty much instantly freezes.
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
The Weather Network said:
Current Weather Updated: Thursday, February 25, 2010, 14:00 EST - Pearson Airport
Toronto, ON

Light snow, -6 °C
Wind: N 33km/h
Another HC lunch ride. I had to STAND on my pedals to go North. The drifting snow was no picnic either. Jeebus! :eek:
 

·
namagomi
Joined
·
2,884 Posts
garage monster said:
Another HC lunch ride. I had to STAND on my pedals to go North. The drifting snow was no picnic either. Jeebus! :eek:
Hey, were you the other guy in the spacesuit? I had to grab onto my fork crown to get aero enough, without that i doubt i would have moved forward while in the open fields! My hands almost got frozen to the crown actually.

:arf:

The trip back was super-quick though... lol.
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
You know what's missing from this Jens chart? A third axis for precipitation. :D

Picture a road ride from the Brock Monument to Fort Erie and back (just under 100km) last Saturday.

Conditions: average temp: 3 degrees C, average wind speed: 50km/h with gusts of up to 75km/h, total precipitation 20 mm (forecast was for <5mm).

To say that Mrs. Monster, nspace, another pal and I got pummeled would be a gross understatement. Water logged and gritty, we triumphed and toasted to epic stupidity later that night over dinner. :)

I hope it's a long time before we have a ride more manly than that one! :D
 

·
bi-winning
Joined
·
11,109 Posts
garage monster said:
You know what's missing from this Jens chart? A third axis for precipitation. :D

Picture a road ride from the Brock Monument to Fort Erie and back (just under 100km) last Saturday.

Conditions: average temp: 3 degrees C, average wind speed: 50km/h with gusts of up to 75km/h, total precipitation 20 mm (forecast was for <5mm).

To say that Mrs. Monster, nspace, another pal and I got pummeled would be a gross understatement. Water logged and gritty, we triumphed and toasted to epic stupidity later that night over dinner. :)

I hope it's a long time before we have a ride more manly than that one! :D
OMG?! You're serious? I don't know too many people who would subject themselves to that voluntarily.
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
The ride had been planned almost two weeks in advance. None of us cried chicken so it was game on.:D

It was actually quite pleasant until about Fort Erie but then the rain really started coming down. It was hitting us in the face like a barrage of needles from the river.:eek:

Being dressed properly (rain coat and pants, neoprene booties and gloves...) for the occasion kept my morale pretty high and sick as it sounds, I was enjoying the challenge. Wool is a marvelous thing.:thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Top