Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Older & Faster...downhill
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else ever broken their heel bone? Broke mine last Wednesday night wakeboarding. Now that was some crazy pain and is still pretty annoying. Sort of a freak accident where the board caught an edge and went one way while the force of my body was going the other. Worst part was feeling it snap! Fortunately no surgery required as doc says it's a clean break. But the idea of no riding for 3 months doesn't sit well.
MM

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm back

I did my first ride in 5 months last weekend after fracturing my heel and damaging my tibular joint. I rode abut 7 miles at a local place (Daley Ranch, Escondido, CA). I still have a long way to go (I'm still in physical therapy), but it was nice to be back in the saddle again. I had to borrow flat pedals and buy new shoes in order to ride.

I chose to go the non-surgical route.

·
Older & Faster...downhill
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to hear you're back on. I did surgery and was on in 3 months. The break ended up being a shatter into 8 pieces. Now own two 2.5" titanium screws that are real good with weather changes! Been 6 months to date. I can do centurys on the road bike, 40 milers on the mountain bikes, get off the bike and still walk with some discomfort and a minor limp. Riding is virtually pain free but I suspect some of that is endorphin related. Doc says I'm doing great but being the impatient person I am I want 100%. In the end still happy that I can walk at all.

And you will end up walking different no matter what happens.

Click on the "other women" link below and I have some pics of the hardware.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Thanks for the comments, Margaritaman. I checked out you "other women" link; I've already seen one of the x-ray pictures as your avatar at STR. I fractured, but didn't shatter my heel like you did. I was a borderline surgery candidate who chose the non-surgical route. I'll keep going to physical therapy (I've been going for about 2 months) and hopefully will be able to mostly recover. I've only been off of crutches for about 2 weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts