Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New schedule up 2020 Events — California Enduro Series

Questions for those who've raced these:

I've never done a CES race, so apologies for the noob Qs. I've done the Downieville XC race 4 or 5 times, and looking to do more races. XC isn't really my thing, so enduro seems a better fit.

Do you sign up for each race individually through CES, or a race-specific website?

Should I plan to be at the race area the day before for check-in/pre-race walking the course? Or do folks show up day of? Is there group camping or does everyone fend for themselves?

What do these races cost?

Are they fun for washed-up, never-been-fast but love to have a good time riders? I'm reasonably fast, but nothing compared to the monsters I see on Strava.

Is there a Noob/beginners guide so I don't have to bother all of you?

Thanks y'all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have raced the series the past couple of years, including doing all of the them this last year.

For most of the events you sign up through the ces event. There may be an exception(like if it is a ews race) but this year it looks like that won’t be an issue.

Practice is held the Friday before so plan to be at the venue a day early. If it is far away from home plan to be driving on Thursday. You will also pick up your packet on Friday so you won’t be rushed race day morning.

For lodging it is everyone for themselves. I usually stay at a motel or airbnb close by. Some venues do allow camping in the parking lot (china peak and shasta) but in ashland or northstar you will likely need to book something.

Each race is in the $120-$150 range.

Yes they are very fun and often challenging events that will push your abilities. Everyone is very supportive of each other and at the end of the day we are all just having fun since there isn’t prize money in the non pro races.

The races differ pretty wildly from stop to stop so it really makes you stay on your toes. One week it is ultra steep rocky stuff , and the next can be smooth pedally flow trails.

This year’s calendar looks like half the dates would be suited for a shorter travel bike and the other half a long slacked out bike. I was hoping to get a tallboy already so this just gives me more reason to get it.

Any questions just ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Hella Olde
2,538 Posts
To get started in the CES world, you need to get a CES RiderID number. You need this ID when registering for any CES events. It is used to track your series points and overall standings. It's been a couple of years since I signed up but it looks like you do it here:

https://www.californiaenduroseries.com/ces-riderid/

Edit - yes, they are fun for "washed-up, never-been-fast but love to have a good time riders?" That would be me.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,267 Posts
Stoked to see Shasta in the mix. They deserve it after working hard. Bummed, as always, not to see Mendocino on the calendar, but i get it. That was the Blue Moon..

Speaking of CES races I have always wanted to see added.. How about the Mad River? I mean, how bad ass would it be if it was Mad River on one weekend and Ashland the next (so we working folk could ride them).

And entering fantasy land, you had to race Mad River to qualify for Ashland!? Ha!! "Sorry, Riddle, you have to race something besides Ashland this year, or no dice.."

·
Hella Olde
2,538 Posts
Stoked to see Shasta in the mix. They deserve it after working hard. Bummed, as always, not to see Mendocino on the calendar, but i get it. That was the Blue Moon..

Speaking of CES races I have always wanted to see added.. How about the Mad River? I mean, how bad ass would it be if it was Mad River on one weekend and Ashland the next (so we working folk could ride them).

And entering fantasy land, you had to race Mad River to qualify for Ashland!? Ha!! "Sorry, Riddle, you have to race something besides Ashland this year, or no dice.."
Mad River is limited to 120 racers and is not suited to CES-level mayhem and is on private property and would ruin the vibe of a small race that already flat-out sucks :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Stoked to see Shasta in the mix. They deserve it after working hard.
I really hope they can get more hands to help do maintenance before the race this time. Last year it was beyond loose/dry.

With how closely spaced the first few races are, it will be lots of driving for us in so cal. This yeah I won’t make the mistake of driving to shasta. Flying into Medford makes more sense.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I really hope they can get more hands to help do maintenance before the race this time. Last year it was beyond loose/dry.

With how closely spaced the first few races are, it will be lots of driving for us in so cal. This yeah I won’t make the mistake of driving to shasta. Flying into Medford makes more sense.

If your going to fly to a race you should book that plane ticket a little further north and do some of the Race Cascadia series in the PNW. I rode at a few of the locations they race at and they are all exponentially better than anything in Ca. Unless you prefer blown out bike park over steep deep loamers.

·
Ride On!
995 Posts
Glad to see they are back at Toro this year. My bucket list includes riding in a CES race, having watched past race videos, it is well within my riding ability. At 58, I plan to be one of the 'old dudes' out having a good time and hopefully put in a decent time.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Toro in May? Hope it doesn't rain.

-We're not expecting much rain this year unfortunately. It could happen though.
Hopefully CCCX get's the go-ahead to use some of the "other" trails this year.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great info - thanks yall, especially austink and DH40. I'll be coming to some of these from Truckee, probably with the wife and kids in tow. Hope it's a cool scene - the fam loves Downieville race weekend...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Great info - thanks yall, especially austink and DH40. I'll be coming to some of these from Truckee, probably with the wife and kids in tow. Hope it's a cool scene - the fam loves Downieville race weekend...
How old are you? I may suggest registering for the appropriate sport class of your age group vs beginner as beginner always has some young kid ringers who would podium in expert. That is assuming you would try beginner in the first place.

Either way I am sure it will be fun. Everyone who does them are nice people.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I raced ces mt shasta this year and drove shuttle for ces Ashland. It was my first ces race, and super fun. Really enjoyed it, probably do it again this year.

As for what to expect, depends on the venue. Ashland is awesome and ran tight and right with Bill and Sue. Others, not so much. Not bad, but definitely chill and not a high stress atmosphere.

On the ski park maintenance, I did a volunteer day, they only had one. I think they did a great job with what they had. I would have been happy to do more, Skyler had his crew on it. The dirt is what it is. I hadn’t done trail work in dust before. Lol. I hope to see some changes next year, fingers crossed! This is from a local, growing up riding Mt Shasta.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,678 Posts
Bummed, as always, not to see Mendocino on the calendar, but i get it. That was the Blue Moon..
Just too small of a pool of riders/volunteers to pull it off too many times. Two years really stretched the workers/promotor. Great place to ride, obviously since I moved here!, and fairly off the beaten path but yet not thaaaat far away.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bump. Just a few months ago and a different world...

China Peak event is scheduled. Will it run?

I'm signed up for Shasta, Mammoth Bar, Northstar, and Ashland. Anyone else?

Would love any beta on how to prepare for these races.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 94 Posts