Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never run tubeless before but I am buying a new set of Stan's 355s in a couple weeks and am going to take the plunge:thumbsup: Anyway, I'm trying to decide on a sealant and the caffelatex is my front runner because it's ammonia free! Anyone try it? Opinions?

Also, Kenda doesn't recommend running their tires tubeless but I'm hooked on Small Block Eights. Wouldn't the lack of ammonia in the sealer work better with their "fragile" tires?

·
Plastic homer
592 Posts
CF is great - lasts a bit longer than Stan's and seals great. However, the sidewall strength and bead may be a bigger issue for the SB8s. OTOH, I know some riders who do Nevegals tubeless without issues.

A good SB8-like tire that does tubeless is the Bonty XDX 2.1. It is TLR and should pump up fine, and has a similar tread.

·
Old-newbie
382 Posts
I have been running the Caffelatex in a few tires for a couple of months, and it has been working great, even with visible cactus needle intrusions. The 29er application is a WTB stout on a Bontrager Rhythm Elite wheel (tubeless, of course). Not only does it seal, but it holds pressure for 2 weeks. Even then it is only a bit low, not flat. I run 45psi +/- 5.

Just another data point.

gerG

·
Chad
59 Posts
Good Combo

I have Cross Max st 29ers with Cafe' latex and SB8s. Season 2 with this set-up. About 3200 off-road miles of typical East Coast Gnar. No problems with set-up, sealing or leakage. Re-apply 1 scoop every 2-3 months per wheel. Get the "syringe" and go through
the valve, you won't have to break you good seal.

SB8s will have typical light tire challenges with rocks, side-wall tears etc., but the Cafe' latex takes care of many small tears. I think I've replace the rear twice and the front once
in this period.

FYI

·
Registered
817 Posts
I just set up my new 29er. Arch rims, SM8 in the rear, using Caffelatex as a sealant. I've run the SM8's for over a year tubeless on my 26" bike with stans.

The 29er tire had a lot of pinholes in the sidewall, probably about 15. Caffelatex doesn't seem to seal as quickly as Stans. It would lay the tire on it's side so the fluid would cover the hole, and it would shoot a stream out for as long as 20seconds before sealing...so I'm a little skeptical. But I've read where lots of people like the stuff.

I have yet to ride my new bike, so...no comments yet on how well the stuff works on the trail.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I have used the Caffelatex and Stan's in a few different wheels I have.
bottom line: they are both the same. They dry up at about the same rate. They seal about the same.Does one stay "foamy" in a tire...who knows...or cares.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like the stuff. Worked well in my arches, which you would expect. Not a lot different than stans on the trail. I do like the injector.
I was impressed at how well it worked in my converted speed disk rims, mounting crossmark tires.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I was going down this road also, got some new hoops and liked the idea of no amonium corroding my rims/spokes/nips. Went to my LBS and one of the guys there had a bottle he said he'd give me. Long story short, apparently he had an issue with the stuff not sealing up in "hot" weather (I live in south TX so it's hot a lot) and spraying brown sauce all over his rear as he rode... had to stop and use a tube in a small pinhole sized leak. He did say that he was an early adopter and that the formula has changed since he got his... dunno. I'd like to hear more from folks who have it and have used it in all sorts of situations/conditions

·
Old-newbie
382 Posts
Can anybody comment on the "mess factor" when changing tires? Stans takes a bit of time and patience to peel out all of the dried material from the bead area. I haven't changed a tire with the Cafelatex yet, so I am curious what I am in for.

gerG

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Seals ok as long as thorns do not pull out!!

My findings with CaffeLatex was that it sealed up tires against air loss about the same as Stan's sealant. Rampages I did with both sealants, seeped more CaffeLatex through the sidewalls than they did Stan's.

Cactus punctures sealed ok with both sealants, but if a big spine went in, and then pulled back out, the CaffeLatex did not seal it!! No chunks to plug the hole.

Here is a post I did about a thorn puncture that CaffeLatex failed to seal, and "Homebrew" sealant then easily sealed the same hole.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=575503&highlight=caffelatex

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
I've used Stans for several years,and have been very happy. I've heard good things about CL, so I bought some and have been trying it myself, and with a few customers. So far? The CL sets up a tire faster, less screwing around trying to get a complete non seepy seal. I never disliked Stans and the amount of time it took, just kind of "part of the deal", so anything with less dorking about, scores a few points.

It hasn't been mentioned here, but the aggregate in Stans (rubber chunks) acts like a clotting agent for bigger holes, and the CL has none, hence (I'm assuming) the folks here talking about blowing out of holes etc. I've heard recently, though have yet to try, that folks have had good luck creating an aggregate with a rasp, file, etc, and a piece of PVC pipe. Grind yourself up a pile, and toss it in. Won't interact, and can't hurt.

As to the OP's specific tire? Can't say, SB8's aren't a happy tire in the gooey Northeast, at least with those I ride with. If the CL lasts any longer, and works as well, I'llkeep it just due to faster "out of the box" set up. The ones I've done? Inflate, set the bead, spin for 30 seconds, and forget. :cool:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
CaffeLatex seems to permeate sidewalls more than Stan's.

I set up at least 4 sets of Rampages with Stan's sealant, and never saw a drop of it go through the sidewalls.

The first time I set up Rampages with CaffeLatex, I had quite a few places where the sealant was coming through the sidewalls in little dots, and I had to take a rag and wipe off the wet sealant on the outside of the tire.:mad:

I never had Stan's do this with Rampages.:nono: This would make me wonder how it would do sealing up Kenda tires that are notorious for weeping sealant through them, and taking lots of shaking and flipping to seal.

If CaffeLatex weeps through a tire that does not weep Stan's, than what is it going to do in a porous tire like a Kenda?

·
Freedom Isn't Free
317 Posts
Just switched to CL from Stans. I run Nevegals and SB8. Set up well when I had to switch rear tire from SB8 to Nevegals due to season change. I haven't had any problems w/Stans and Kendas in the two years I've run tubeless. I have heard others say Kendas and Stans are not good together.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
dgaddis1 said:
The 29er tire had a lot of pinholes in the sidewall, probably about 15. Caffelatex doesn't seem to seal as quickly as Stans.

It would lay the tire on it's side so the fluid would cover the hole, and it would shoot a stream out for as long as 20seconds before sealing.
If you think it shoots a stream out of a slightly porous sidewall, imagine what it does when a big cactus spine goes in and pulls back out.:D Then you will learn why I have renamed it "CrappeExlax".:lol:

My tire shot out 3 full scoops of the stuff when I pulled a big spine out in my garage. Never did seal the hole. Cleaned it out and put in homebrew, and it sealed the hole instantly!!

Here in cactus country I need sealant that will plug punctures. CaffeLatex does not cut it for me, and costs 4 times as much as homebrew.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.