Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually it hasnt seen any touring yet
and i dont think i like those racks on it...

but the bike stand alone... is an awesome bike...it does everything i ever wanted.

I live close nearby Rick Hunter's shop, and he made this frame for exactly what i wanted.

those are a set of On-One Mary Bars, mounted... upside down.

i also have a set of Carousel Design Works bags on order...
a handlebar bag, seatbag, and a custom "tank bag" for that double toptube

lately my ramblings have been on The Big Dummy
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=391518

and before that mostly on The Pug
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=179026

but the Hunter will get some time in... I'm sure... it has all the braze-ons... fenders too... i just havent put any on it yet...

peace...d

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Enduramil said:
I see the Oury's had some customization, seems to be a little bulge in the middle. And I know that doesn't come stock like that. What did you do to modify them?
LOL

it only took me probably 20yrs or more to remember that old trick...

electrical tape

when we were kids we used to do this to our grips...

so wrap the bar a few times, and try to do it evenly, as you want to copy the other side too...

then wrap a center section a few times... its really nice to actually use the grip as a guide.

simply hold the grip up to the bar as you wrap and try to be even...

then repeat on the other side...

i use Boeshield T9 to slide the grips on...

with the added diameter to the bar, grips never slip, no mater what...
and of course they are easy to remove... place chain lube straw under grip, etc...

i like to remove the "end caps" of the Oury Grips... you know... cut off the Mushroom cap.

it only took me about a year... to wonder why it seemed that when people would stand around and look at one of bikes... that it seemed their clothes caught on the bar, and the bike was ready to get knocked down...

so ya... cut off the Mushroom cap end piece... use a bar plug... and now the handlebar is less likely to grab clothing, and the bike not get knocked over...

i also discovered that without the Mushroom end cap piece to the grip(s), my hands dont get numb... i think the ridge of the cap, pressed into the outside edge of my hand(s).

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Enduramil said:
Hmm, one would think that using a lubricante to install grips would be a bad thing.
ya huh... strange... it used to blow my mind too... i think its basically any chain lube that "dries" or sets up. i dont think i'd use motor oil, 3 in 1 household oil... uhhh... WD40 works ok... so does Pedros Liquid X...

i pretty much alternate between Boeshield and Pedros Liquid X (my prefered).

the whole thing about lock on grips... i remember thinking to myself...
"when did grips coming loose become an issue?" and i'd go thru this over and over in my mind, and i was always blown away to find my grips spinning loose when it rained...

i could not understand how years and years had gone by, and i never had loose grips.

then i remembered the childhood trick of wrapping tape on the bar before you install grips.

increase the O.D. of the bar, and grips squeeze onto the bar with more authority. the bulge in the middle definitely helps.

back in the day before Oakley came out with their grips, as kids we used to tape a broken pencil piece onto the rear section of the bar, to make the grip have that little ledge to rest your palms on.

while you can slip the grip off...
the bummer is to sit there and cut the tape off, when or if you need to remove the shifters. its all easy stuff anyways...

peace...d

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
SelfPropelledDevo said:
LOL

it only took me probably 20yrs or more to remember that old trick...

electrical tape

when we were kids we used to do this to our grips...

so wrap the bar a few times, and try to do it evenly, as you want to copy the other side too...

then wrap a center section a few times... its really nice to actually use the grip as a guide.

simply hold the grip up to the bar as you wrap and try to be even...

then repeat on the other side...

i use Boeshield T9 to slide the grips on...

with the added diameter to the bar, grips never slip, no mater what...
and of course they are easy to remove... place chain lube straw under grip, etc...

i like to remove the "end caps" of the Oury Grips... you know... cut off the Mushroom cap.

it only took me about a year... to wonder why it seemed that when people would stand around and look at one of bikes... that it seemed their clothes caught on the bar, and the bike was ready to get knocked down...

so ya... cut off the Mushroom cap end piece... use a bar plug... and now the handlebar is less likely to grab clothing, and the bike not get knocked over...

i also discovered that without the Mushroom end cap piece to the grip(s), my hands dont get numb... i think the ridge of the cap, pressed into the outside edge of my hand(s).
I'll be trying out this Dirtbag grip mod tonight.

Interesting about the mushroom end. I'm presently running WTB Street Smart one's that came stock on my 29er. No ridged end but definetly get the numbing effect. But then I also suspect that effect will vary from rider to rider and grip to grip.

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
SelfPropelledDevo said:
ya huh... strange... it used to blow my mind too... i think its basically any chain lube that "dries" or sets up. i dont think i'd use motor oil, 3 in 1 household oil... uhhh... WD40 works ok... so does Pedros Liquid X...

i pretty much alternate between Boeshield and Pedros Liquid X (my prefered).

the whole thing about lock on grips... i remember thinking to myself...
"when did grips coming loose become an issue?" and i'd go thru this over and over in my mind, and i was always blown away to find my grips spinning loose when it rained...

i could not understand how years and years had gone by, and i never had loose grips.

then i remembered the childhood trick of wrapping tape on the bar before you install grips.

increase the O.D. of the bar, and grips squeeze onto the bar with more authority. the bulge in the middle definitely helps.

back in the day before Oakley came out with their grips, as kids we used to tape a broken pencil piece onto the rear section of the bar, to make the grip have that little ledge to rest your palms on.

while you can slip the grip off...
the bummer is to sit there and cut the tape off, when or if you need to remove the shifters. its all easy stuff anyways...

peace...d
The pencil trick almost sounds like the dirtbag version of an Ergon grip. Hmm, more bad ideas.

When it comes to the lubricant you forgot the other favorite hairspray.

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Nice

SelfPropelledDevo said:
from Sea Otter

i was chit chatting with some guys... like Maurice from Dirt Rag, and one of Rick Hunter's buddys... when lookie who pops up to check out the bike...
Is the red one next to yours his ride? :D

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Enduramil said:
I'll be trying out this Dirtbag grip mod tonight.
make sure you have plenty of electrical tape.
if i remember... there are 6 or maybe 8 layers of tape, ran the length of the grip.
running the tape in typical "bar wrap" fashion.

then another 6 layers for the center section. Oury grips have those nice big square lugs, so i used the center 2 lugs as a reference to build up the bulge.

hairspray... ya... thats an old school classic... aqua net

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Enduramil said:
The pencil trick almost sounds like the dirtbag version of an Ergon grip. Hmm, more bad ideas.

When it comes to the lubricant you forgot the other favorite hairspray.
the old school Oakley 3 grips

i found these thru a google search...

this is really old stuff... back in the day before i even knew of a MTB... BMX, 10spd, and cruisers...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.