Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cables are routed under the top bar on the ex 9.8, I use a rack that would cause the bike to sit on the cables when strapped in...It has not been as issue thus far, was curious if there is any type of damage I should worry about. Thanks. BR

·
Registered
23 Posts
To play it safe on my Top Fuel 9.8 I bought a Yakima Top Tube, part # 2531. They're made for Y frames but work great on the Fuels.

·
rollin
221 Posts
I have the same issue with my Trance frame and Saris Bones rack. I just picked up a Saris top tube at Dick's...Does it really let loose when driving?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, i have been using a saris with my HiFi for a few years with no issue. It is just a bit of pain. Was hoping that since I now have a bike that would fit on the rack without it, I could get away with not using one. Thanks.

·
Registered
927 Posts
rideskake said:
http://www.yakima.com/racks/bike-racks/product/8002531/tubetop.aspx

Here's the site, stay away from the Saris model, it will pop off while driving down the road. No chance of it happening with this Yakima.
Ha! The only reason that ANY rack should fall off is improper installation. I can tell you that not one of my customers has EVER had a Saris rack fall off.
As for the cables i wouldn't worry about any damage.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I use a Saris rack with my Trek EX. I tried one of those Saris tubes and it was a piece of junk for my application. The bike would swing back and forth on the rack and it just sucked. I've since moved the arms around so my top tube sits on the rack. I've placed the arms such that the little welded on holders for the wires and brake line are what the bike sits on. That way none of the lines are getting squeezed, those holders are what is getting squeezed. Then a bungee cord to hold the bike closer to the rack and prevent the front wheel from spinning.

-Tom

·
Registered
23 Posts
josh8 said:
Ha! The only reason that ANY rack should fall off is improper installation. I can tell you that not one of my customers has EVER had a Saris rack fall off.
As for the cables i wouldn't worry about any damage.
Look at the difference in the locking pin between the saris TOP TUBE (NOT RACK) and the Yakima model. I can flex the saris WITH MY HANDS to open the latch that holds it to the seat post and haed set. I use the Yakima Top Tube and a Saris rack.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cday1616 said:
I have the same issue with my Trance frame and Saris Bones rack. I just picked up a Saris top tube at Dick's...Does it really let loose when driving?
Yes it will. I bought mine at the same place and it opened more than once just getting the bike on the rack. Check out the design of the Yakima, where the locking pin is located, and it's obvious that it's the better choice.

·
Registered
927 Posts
rideskake said:
Look at the difference in the locking pin between the saris TOP TUBE (NOT RACK) and the Yakima model. I can flex the saris WITH MY HANDS to open the latch that holds it to the seat post and haed set. I use the Yakima Top Tube and a Saris rack.
I know the difference, I have sold both. I'm telling you that 30+ of the Saris bars go out my door per season and not one has never ever failed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts