Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've run cable actuated droppers, and ideally also run hydraulic hose actuated (Reverb), I'm curious how people have fared with their cable durability in crashes and snags on the trail.
I've broken the hose barb on my hydraulic reverb hose at the insertion to the plunger on the handlebars a couple times a year for a couple years. I am considering something like the WolfTooth Sustain cable conversion kit. Questions:
  1. Are cables more durable in crashes?
  2. Have you heard of a cable pulling on the dropper hard enough to cause damage in a crash?
  3. If you break the cable, can you pull on it to raise the dropper, if it was down?
I've read reviews for the WolfTooth Sustain, and it seems good for other reasons, but they don't mention much about my main issue, durability at the cable/hose connection to the lever on the handlebars.

·
Registered
14,395 Posts
I broke the barb in a crash on my Reverb as well. No other post I've owned since let me down as much as those things. I did snap a revive but it was perfect up until that point.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Beers. Bikes. Battlestar Galactica.
331 Posts
1. I would imagine it's harder to snap a cable than it is to pull a hydraulic hose out of the lever, but I don't know. What's certain is you could easily replace a dropper cable by the side of the trail. I carry a spare gear cable in my bag. Don’t know anyone who carries a bleed kit, spanners, hydraulic fluid and compression fittings.

2. I guess if you really snagged the cable on something it could maybe damage the actuator on the post itself but it would be a freak accident.

3. Yes. Also if need be you could remove the post from the frame and actuate it by hand to extend it all or part way up.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks for the tips! Looks like I will be buying a Wolftooth Sustain pretty soon.
Sustain is high priced - IMO its better to sell Reverb (you want reliable post don't you? :) and buy some other cable actuated post - for the same money you will have new cable actuated dropper vs. unreliable Reverb. Just use search on forum regarding reliability Reverb issues ... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.