Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I always make it a point to relieve all the tension on both derailleurs after I ride. I forgot to this morning and saw it just now and went running over to my bike like it just fell and scraped its knee.

My thought is that this will minimize stretch and give a little more life to the cables. Am I on to something or just crazy?

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
your anal

I replace my cables once a year, if they need it or not. I also carry a spare shift cable with me. Break a rear deralluir cable 8 miles from the trail head and you learn.

Besides, cables are'nt that expensive and I like to tinker. Brakes and shifters have easy adjustments for cable stretch.

I'd worry more about keeping your drive train clean than cable stretch.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
Cables don't stretch. When you hear people referring to cable stretch, its actually ferrules fully seating onto the housing and the housing seating into the shifters/frame/derailleurs.

I leave mine in what ever gear I finish my ride on. Never had an issue. I do replace my shifter cables yearly on my MTB, as since I race I can't have a mechanical due to a cable issue.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Nowadays I mainly don't use cables on my bikes at all... really.

But the one that has a derailer gets left in the store room in a gear that is about right for getting on a bike and starting to pedal. No harm has come to it from that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a road and mountain bike, but don't ride either. I'm afraid of wearing on the tires.

When I bought my road bike I made them build me up a new one. The one I test rode was already used and worn out.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
timmaayyy said:
So I always make it a point to relieve all the tension on both derailleurs after I ride. I forgot to this morning and saw it just now and went running over to my bike like it just fell and scraped its knee.

My thought is that this will minimize stretch and give a little more life to the cables. Am I on to something or just crazy?
Yes, WAAAAAY too...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Some ppl do leave derailleurs in certain gear (not sure what exactly, possibly in the smallest cog/chainring) to take tension off the springs, rather than to prevent cables from stretching. I myself have never done this and still run 10 yo derailleurs without any problem.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
timmaayyy said:
Am I on to something or just crazy?
Um, well, the latter. Having said that one might consider this a superstition or a ritual that makes you at peace with the riding process. Lots of great athletes have rituals they to assure their performance. So I suggest we go there.:thumbsup:

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
timmaayyy said:

I do not like to leave the rear derailleur on a big cog because it leaves unnecessary tension on the derailleur SPRING.... tension on the cable won't make any difference (even tension on the spring won't make much difference, but it just makes sense to me... and I do not obsessively shift all the way to the smallest cog, I just generally don't stop riding without putting the bike in the small gear up front and somewhere around 3-5 out back).

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
On the subject of where one leaves the gears when the bike is put away I always leave it in the gear that I can easily use when I climb on the bike the next time. It's similar to downshifting before you get to the bottom of the descent so you have a reasonable gear to push on the subsequent grade.

For me it's a simple practicality. I don't care about the tension on the springs and I get plenty of use out of my components.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I buy a new bike every time I ride. Return the old one to the shop. Yeah, I take a bit of a loss, but its worth it to have a brand new bike every time.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Uncle Six Pack said:
I do not like to leave the rear derailleur on a big cog because it leaves unnecessary tension on the derailleur SPRING.... tension on the cable won't make any difference (even tension on the spring won't make much difference, but it just makes sense to me... and I do not obsessively shift all the way to the smallest cog, I just generally don't stop riding without putting the bike in the small gear up front and somewhere around 3-5 out back).
I wouldn't worry about leaving tension on the spring. It's cycles that wear a spring out, not leaving it in a static position.

All wire rope cables stretch. It's part of their design.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.