Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to buy some necessary tools to change the gear cables of my bike.
I would buy a shimano cable cutter; some hex wrenches and does it necessary the cable stretcher or a simple plier do the work?

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
Surfas said:
I am starting to buy some necessary tools to change the gear cables of my bike.
I would buy a shimano cable cutter; some hex wrenches and does it necessary the cable stretcher or a simple plier do the work?
I've been riding and wrenching on bikes for over 25 years, and I still don't understand (nor need) the function of a cable stretcher. The cable cutter and hex wrenches are essential - I like Bondhus ball drivers for hex wrenches (available at Home Depot and other hardware stores). A small, fine file for deburring the housing ends is also good to have. Have fun!

Kathy :^)

·
Registered
54 Posts
The only time I've ever used it was setting the low limit by cable tension. Like when the
lower limit screw is frozen, or the head mangled beyond hope. I can use it to hold the
front derailleur and cable and tighten the binder. Otherwise the are in the way and kept
under the bench out of sight. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.