Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never had to actually run the cable/setup a front derailleur. I have the SRAM shifter set for the most slack possible and the FD sitting over the small ring. The cable is running down around the left hand side of the derailleur, under the bottom, and up under the crimp bolt. However, it does not seem like the cable is very secure in its route….Shimano’s instructions do not specifically reference this type of derailleur. Any thoughts on what I am missing? What is the black metal device that sticks up off the non-drive side with 2 prongs on it? I think the cable comes down between the prongs but it seems like the angle is kinda funny….Any close-up pictures of the derailleur and cabling would be nice….Thanks.

Greyeye

·
carpe mañana
7,296 Posts
Do you have a picture of what you're talking about? This is a bit hard to visualize.

_MK

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Hmmm... I don't have a sram, but I wonder if you are feeding the cable in backwards? My XT has the two arm jobbie too, but the non-drive side arm is for bottom feed cable routings. You probably want to come down from above with the cable and head straight to the DRIVE SIDE of the der and right to the pinch bolt. I even ended up using a dremel to cut that little vestigal appendage off my der. Saved like 3.5g off the Pack!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tscheezy said:
Hmmm... I don't have a sram, but I wonder if you are feeding the cable in backwards? My XT has the two arm jobbie too, but the non-drive side arm is for bottom feed cable routings. You probably want to come down from above with the cable and head straight to the DRIVE SIDE of the der and right to the pinch bolt. I even ended up using a dremel to cut that little vestigal appendage off my der. Saved like 3.5g off the Pack!
Ahhh....Maybe that is what I am looking at....A dual use FD....Since I am coming in from the top, like you said, I will head straight over to the clamp....Thanks....

Greyeye

1 - 4 of 4 Posts