1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
Felco

A crappy cable cutter is a PITA. Spend a little extra money and get a really good one. Felco is the best out there, but hard to find, and pricey. The Pedro's cable cutter is almost identical to the Felco, but costs a bit less. So that's what I'd suggest going for.

·
Industry Member
287 Posts
Shimano, Park, and Pedros all work good...but if you something that will last forever and works flawlessly go for the Felco. They are the choice of some of the best wrenches in the world and they will be worth every penny you spend! Then everytime you use it, you will get that warm fuzzy feeling inside that comes along with knowing you purchased a high quality product!

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
Formula Brake USA said:
Shimano, Park, and Pedros all work good...but if you something that will last forever and works flawlessly go for the Felco.
So, I'm curious have you used the Pedros in addition to the Felco? Superficially, they look just like the Felcos, I've wondered if they're the same thing, just re-branded. Any thoughts?

·
Industry Member
287 Posts
I have used both and from my experience I am confident that the Pedros are not just the Felcos rebranded. Notice the Felcos cost about twice as much (you get what you pay for). The Felcos are Swiss made...where as I would be really surprised if the Pedros which retail for 29.95 are made anywhere other than in Asia (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

Chris

·
Hup, Hup
536 Posts
I have been using the Pedro's cable cutters for about two years with absolutely no complaints whatsoever. One of my co-workers has the Felco's and same story...they work flawlessly. You really can't go wrong with any of them, especially with the limited use that you will be using them. I do however, recommend the Pedro's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
the Inbred said:
i am willing to bet the Felco, Pedro's, and Shimano cable cutters are all the same, just rebadged.
nope. i've held all three in my hands. i own two of them. :)

the felco cutters really are, i think, the best you can get. they open nice and far on their own, so you're not stuck manually opening them further to fit the housing through. a lifesaver if you're cutting housing frequently. the jaws are much more precise and of a higher quality. at the shop i used to work at all of the bences were equipped with felcos that were, i'd guess, around 10 years old? still cut like butter.

the shimanos have a little coil spring that opens them up to fit the jaws over housing but they don't open far enough. when cutting brake housing with it they tend to crimp the wire in the housing, so you gotta get out the side-cutters and trim that ****. that's another benefit to the felcos, they usually cut crisp enough you don't have to do that. and as far as shift housing, it's hit or miss. sometimes it cuts nice and clean, othertimes it seems to squish the whole mess together. that's with a brand new pair of cutters too.

the pedros ones are okay. they feel cheap in my hand, though. and they look sorta cheap. functionally, i'd rate them about equal with the shimano cutters.

i've never used any of the park cutters.

·
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just to clarify for my own use.. I am looking to shorten my shifter cables.. so I would need to cut my cables and the housing... yes Felco would be awesome.. maybe pedro's would be more economical and practical for my use?
Also, i read that putting an old cable into the housing before cutting the housing will prevent too much mushing?
thanks for the feedback so far

·
Registered
12 Posts
unfluid one said:
just to clarify for my own use.. I am looking to shorten my shifter cables.. so I would need to cut my cables and the housing... yes Felco would be awesome.. maybe pedro's would be more economical and practical for my use?
Also, i read that putting an old cable into the housing before cutting the housing will prevent too much mushing?
thanks for the feedback so far
i've read that about putting an old cable into the housing too, but i've never tried it. too much work. i have an old spoke i've sharpened that i use to poke the smashed-up inner-lining open.

also, most of the housing i cut is coming off a bulk roll. trying to get a cable far enough in there to act as some sorta anti-smush device would be a waste of a cable. i suppose if you had an extra cable laying around and were just trimming a couple inches off an existing piece it wouldn't be so bad.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
im just curious becuase for xmas i got me some avid flak jacket cables and im curious will normal park cable cutters cut through the housing? or should i go pick somethign up from home depot?

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
in my mind cable cutters are completely unnessecary...using what you have at home you can do the same quality of cut...for cables wrap the spot to be cut with masking tape bring out the cold chisel (don't recommend the wood type) and the big hammer...find a solid block of steel to cut on the back of a vices works for this...then use the chisel to cut the cable ******wear safety glasses******
DMR

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
austinb89 said:
im just curious becuase for xmas i got me some avid flak jacket cables and im curious will normal park cable cutters cut through the housing? or should i go pick somethign up from home depot?
Park cutters seem to work fine on 5mm flak jackets.

·
Registered
449 Posts
What about a fine tooth blade hacksaw?

I was thinking of buying a dremel to do a re-cable brake and derailleur, but then I go to thinking what about just using a hacksaw with a nice fine tooth blade? As long as I do a nice straight cut, file the end down, and then pierce the inner lining with a old spoke or awl.
Now for doing a bunch of cables, I could see how this is not a feasible way to go, but for a do-it-yourselfer, this seems like a very cost effective alternative to the cutters and dremel.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
eman2 said:
I was thinking of buying a dremel to do a re-cable brake and derailleur, but then I go to thinking what about just using a hacksaw with a nice fine tooth blade? As long as I do a nice straight cut, file the end down, and then pierce the inner lining with a old spoke or awl.
Now for doing a bunch of cables, I could see how this is not a feasible way to go, but for a do-it-yourselfer, this seems like a very cost effective alternative to the cutters and dremel.

any thoughts?
Its so much easier and quicker to use bike specific cable cutters. If you can't afford the fancy Felco you can get cheap Nashbar ones for $9. If you are only building one bike a year they should last you a while.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Ratt said:
Park cutters seem to work fine on 5mm flak jackets.
thank you for the tip i picked up a pair today and they cut through the cable housing so smoothly. im happy i got them instead of tryign to use scisors

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.