Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
The homeless will still be able to "recreate" in the forest and have fires without consequence. We're up to nine homeless started fires as of yesterday In the San Berdoo Mountains.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,966 Posts
Last year it started of as a two week closure on the day after Labor Day, on Sept 8. It was supposed to be a two week closure but was extended until early October. I would expect it to be very similar this year.

It sucked in 2020 because normally Mammoth closes on Labor Day weekend. They announced a two week extension and I took the time off from work to go. I arrive in Mammoth on Labor Day for a 4 day stint on Mammoth Mountain. I was advised of the closure as I was getting off the 395 at the 203 junction. Grrrr......

I was going to Summit this Saturday for a one day last hurrah but I guess that is out the window too. Somehow, I will get by....

·
11,365 Posts
Last year it started of as a two week closure on the day after Labor Day, on Sept 8. It was supposed to be a two week closure but was extended until early October. I would expect it to be very similar this year.

It sucked in 2020 because normally Mammoth closes on Labor Day weekend. They announced a two week extension and I took the time off from work to go. I arrive in Mammoth on Labor Day for a 4 day stint on Mammoth Mountain. I was advised of the closure as I was getting off the 395 at the 203 junction. Grrrr......

I was going to Summit this Saturday for a one day last hurrah but I guess that is out the window too. Somehow, I will get by....
This year the Mammoth bike park was supposed to be running until the 19th, I think… not anymore, I guess.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,773 Posts
This year the Mammoth bike park was supposed to be running until the 19th, I think… not anymore, I guess.
They announced they are closing for the season with the forest closure.

Last year I bought a four pack of tickets with the plan to return closing weekend to use my other two tickets, that didn't happen. They also don't give rain (fire?) checks for those tickets, so I won't be buying in advance again.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
14,600 Posts
They announced they are closing for the season with the forest closure.

Last year I bought a four pack of tickets with the plan to return closing weekend to use my other two tickets, that didn't happen. They also don't give rain (fire?) checks for those tickets, so I won't be buying in advance again.
my buddy whom I was going to be riding Summit with (part of the mammoth group for those who do not know) has a quad pack and currently has 2 tickets left on it. I really hope he can use it. Has Summit made any announcements about just closing up shop for the season? I have done October riding in Big Bear and the weather is usually really nice for riding.

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
465 Posts
Mammoth opening for winter on nov 17, i do believe closure will be prolonged till October, so summit will close bike park for season either;

Santa Clarita bp and santas valley bp are open

Cheers

·
Registered
508 Posts
Talked to a Summiit employee last week who told me that they were pretty confident Summit is going to call it for the season, but said there is still hope so we'll see. I'd definitely love to get some more laps up there this season, but if it isn't in the cards, my season pass more than paid for itself this year.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Judging by previous NF closures, I don't see the forest opening anytime soon. The forest are not getting any less dry.
It's too bad, I live across the street from the NF and have a trail which connects to hundreds of miles of roads and trails about a 100' from my door. There are also a couple of great events up here, the Fox Open and the Grizzly Gran Fondo which will both be affected by the closures.
I have friends who still ride the trails in the forest but I respect the closure and will not ride or hike there. There are some great trails on private property, Maple Hills trails near the high school that I've been riding but I do miss riding the NF a lot.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
14,600 Posts
Small amounts of rain here and there only mildly help. The mountains need lots of snow over long periods to increase the overall moisture content in the soil.
There will not be snow until late October at the earliest. The pictures and videos I have seen show very heavy summer thunderstorms, not gentle misting.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.