Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
C&B Seen CABS-BATTCASE Helmet Battery Case Review

With the two lights sent for reviewing, C&B Seen also included a few accessories relevant to their light.

The first item on this review is their helmet battery case designed to work with their helmet light CABS-1200/1000

Toy Grass family Motorcycle accessories Vehicle registration plate

Cable Technology Ac adapter Grey World

This twin battery case will holds two of your favourite high power 18650 batteries.
I personally have been waiting for such an item to arrive on the market for a very long time!
Cable Rectangle Technology Wire Home accessories
Product Electronic device Technology Azure Office equipment
Product Photograph Line Technology Grey

The case is made of ABS with an external rubberized feel. An external label indicates which way the batteries are inserted and also which way the end cap needs to be positioned.
Opening requires the two small catches to be squeezed in and the end cap to be pulled out.
There are no seals or gaskets, but I understand from C&B Seen that their box is waterproof to IPX 5 (•IPX-5 - Protected against low pressure water stream from any angle).
I would think that the water tightness is achieved by simple friction of the cap and body.
The lead has the standard socket to receive "o" ring type plugs used on their range of lights which are also used by other manufacturers.
This looks pretty universal to me and worked fine with other lights I have.
The unit weight is 57 grams without batteries and the dimensions are 89mm x 23mm x 52mm. A 25mm x 250mm Velcro strap assures the retention to your helmet.
A small Velcro retaining strap is also attached to the lead to secure it to one of your helmet vents.
The batteries are running in series giving 7.4V.

Grass Bicycle helmet Personal protective equipment Grass family Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

The battery box has not built in PCB so relies on the battery's own protection circuit to prevent over discharge.
The only thing worth mentioning is a buzzing coming from the box itself when the light was on low or medium level, (probably an induction hum).

The CABS-BATTCASE will make a good alternative battery pack to the one supplied with their helmet kit or to other manufacturers' battery pack using the same standard connector.
It should be very popular with anyone wanting to have a battery pack fitted to their helmet or only wanting a twin battery set up for a short ride.
With this item you will be able to make full use of the latest battery technology.
By using a couple of Powerpluz 3400mAp batteries in their battery helmet case, I was able to get close to the run time provided by the standard 4400 mAh battery pack
and was also able to shave 79gr off the original combined weight of the helmet light kit.

RRP £18.13 including UK postage (as at 15/12/14)

Accessory sent to me for review by C&B Seen

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Looks like a very interesting and useful product. On the downside I only see it being sold in the UK. I'd be willing to pay $10 for one or $15 if sold locally. To me $28.33 USD is too much to spend for something made of plastic that has no notable moving parts or electronics. I guess that means I'll have to wait for the Chinese to make one. If you think I'm being unreasonable just yesterday I could of bought a nice portable Blue tooth speaker (with internal Li-ion battery ) for about $18 at the local Target store. Roughly they are about the same size but the BT speaker has much more to it than just wires and a couple electrical contacts.

The ad for the case should include more detail. No mention was made of the battery configuration ( series vs. parallel ) although one of the photos seems to indicate a series ( 7.4-8.4 volt ) set-up.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Cat-Man-Do for your feedback. I am sure they will be happy to sell abroad, but as mentioned this will add to the overall cost!

As to what people think is reasonable to pay for such an item, It is down to the individual of course.

I just think it is a very useful item to have and which will allow you to use decent batteries. I am going to carry a run test on my Solarstorm X2 with this battery case and two 3400mAh batteries to see what run time I can get.

Thanks for pointing out that I did not include the Voltage and Cell set up, as this was send to me with the other two lights running on 7.4v, I did oversee to mention this, sorry . The batteries are of course in series" No Instruction was supplied as two the battery arrangement, but you can work it out by the sticker on the body of the case. You just need to positioned the cap with the lead coming out the right way as per label as it will fit either way.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for pointing out that I did not include the Voltage and Cell set up, as this was send to me with the other two lights running on 7.4v, I did oversee to mention this, sorry . The batteries are of course in series" No Instruction was supplied as two the battery arrangement, but you can work it out by the sticker on the body of the case. You just need to positioned the cap with the lead coming out the right way as per label as it will fit either way.
Thanks Cat-Man-Do for your feedback. I am sure they will be happy to sell abroad, but as mentioned this will add to the overall cost!

As to what people think is reasonable to pay for such an item, It is down to the individual of course.

Sorry I miss read your posting as I have just re read my review, the voltage and cell arrangement is quoted.
You was talking about the C&B Seen data on their website. I agree with you very little information is listed, I had to get in touch with them regarding the material it was made from and if it was waterproof as I did not have any specs.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts

I just think it is a very useful item to have and which will allow you to use decent batteries. I am going to carry a run test on my Solarstorm X2 with this battery case and two 3400mAh batteries to see what run time I can get...
I agree. I'm sure there are people willing to spend the money. Personally I've tried 2-cell set-ups on the helmet before but in my case the combo of lamp and battery still feels too dang heavy. Nope, for me when I want a light-weight "helmet contained setup" I go to a small single cell helmet torch. While not as good as a decent dedicated bike lamp it still works pretty good and is a good compromise.

Over the years I've toyed with the idea of tying in a ( parallel ) remote single cell holder to make it ( the torch/battery ) a two celled set-up but finally came to the conclusion that for my typical use the single cell set-up is fine. Besides it only takes about a minute to switch out the cell if that becomes necessary. Unless you're in a race this really isn't an issue.

The biggest issue with 1 or 2 cell set-ups is the voltage drop issue. With less cells to power the emitter(s), relative brightness can potentially drop pretty quickly if you're prone to using the highest setting a lot.

·
Registered
178 Posts
For the price of that two cell holder, you can buy three of the new SolarStorm four cell battery boxes with a protection circuit.

The fact that you CAN put the lid on the wrong way round is a design flaw. If people can do it wrong they will.

There is a market for a two cell case. Lets hope some manufacturer builds one with a protection circuit, and a water resistant screw down lid.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Maybe the battery case from the Fenix BT20 light could be an alternative? There is one issue though, as this case uses a male cable end whereas a female end would be needed. Is there a "female to female" adaptor that connects two male cable ends?

Product Technology Cable Style Line

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Maybe the battery case from the Fenix BT20 light could be an alternative? There is one issue though, as this case uses a male cable end whereas a female end would be needed. Is there a "female to female" adaptor that connects two male cable ends?

View attachment 950277
Changing ends is a quick job needing only basic soldering skills and some heat-shrink, but they won't sell just the case.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I haven't found any in stock anywhere but it is definitely possible to buy the Fenix case separate from the light kit. Here is a picture off a camera gear store's Facebook page, was posted in July and said they had low quantities. I found their website and couldn't find the battery case so I assume they sold out long ago.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I haven't found any in stock anywhere but it is definitely possible to buy the Fenix case separate from the light kit. Here is a picture off a camera gear store's Facebook page, was posted in July and said they had low quantities. I found their website and couldn't find the battery case so I assume they sold out long ago.
I wrote Fenix and they said they wouldn't sell it separately. Maybe some dealers have them.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Was just about to make a thread asking if there is such a thing as a 2 cell battery case. Are they currently shipping these internationally?
I would think they should be able to do that the item is very light so I would think the postage would not be too bad, worth dropping them an e-mail and asking the question. I am not sure if you can give links to website, so your best bet is to google C&B Seen, they should come up easely

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the price of that two cell holder, you can buy three of the new SolarStorm four cell battery boxes with a protection circuit.

The fact that you CAN put the lit on the wrong way round is a design flaw. If people can do it wrong they will.

There is a market for a two cell case. Lets hope some manufacturer builds one with a protection circuit, and a water resistant screw down lid.
Regarding the lid, it is clearly marked, so no problems in day light, but doing a battery change in the dark is a little more risky, I would have preferred a one way cap for safety. As you said some people will get it wrong!

I use only protected batteries, so the no protection is not a problem for me also the fact that it has not got a screw cap has got its advantage, very quick battery change! I have cycled in light rain with no problem, this was attached as in the photo on my ruck strap with lid on top, but again I would have preferred for peace of mind a water seal, but it is IPX 5 rated. Despite its minor flaws, this is a nice battery box which I will mainly use in the summer when the night rides are shorter.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi, no problem at all, it is well build. It has not had heavy uses, but has been used fitted on my helmet for many rides last winter, for the moment, it is on my shoulder strap on my ruck as an emergency battery pack. The two release catch appear to be up to the job and contrary to the SOLARSTORM 4 battery box, it is very quick and easy to remove batteries for charging (I use an XSTAR VP1 charger). I think for the moment if you are running 7.4v lights, this is the only twin replaceable batteries pack available. All my MTB club rides are about 2h and the twin pack does give me enough power for my twin XM-L on my lid. I do also run a bar light with a 6X18650 battery pack (non replaceable batteries) so the helmet light is only turned on on downhill/single track sections. Regarding the price, I don't think, there is choice out there but it is well made, light, low profile and allow you to try different batteries. I obviously did not have to pay for mine, but if I did loose this one, I would buy another one. Also being sold by a UK firm, you have a UK warranty. I hope this help

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.