Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may remember from my previous thread, I decided to try and strip the paint from my spot and go for a industrial/hotrod look. We had a three day weekend and temperatures in the teens, so I thought it would be a good time to do it. Here is how it went:

Picture #1: The frame and fork before treatment. I took it all apart, had some trouble with the stay bolts. Almost stripped them out trying to get them off. Should probably get some new ones. I pulled out a can of aircraft stripper from my motorcycle tank painting days. It is a bit stronger then your usual brand of stuff, burns instantly on exposed skin. I didn't put enough on at first and thought I had just F'd up a decent paint job. I really slathered it on and the paint started bubbling off. Removed it with a wire brush and a dremmel with a wire brush in the tight spots. I then took all the parts into the shower with me to rinse off the remaining stripper and gunk. I learned the error of this when I got burning globs of gunk very near, but thankfully not on, my exposed private parts. I then started Scotch-Briteing the exposed aluminum. This took all the way through "You, Me, and Dupree". Fortunatly not that good of a movie so I was able to focus on the job at hand. The end result was picture #2. I was really happy with how that ended up looking. Part three of the procedure involved me taping out the flames. Picture #3 is the end result of that, flat black with another tank painting throuwback, self etching primer. Picture #4 and #5 is the frame put together. I wanted to take the pictue before it got dark, so that is why I don't have the cables run. As you can tell from the 12+ inches of snow it is pictured on, I should have time to get the bike finished before conditions are rideable.

I am very pleased with how it turned out, I am going to try and do some more to make it more hot-rodish, but overall I think it is pretty much what I had in mind. I like the subtle red accents and look of the raw metal.

I would enjoy any ideas you might have to make it more like the Exile Motorcycles. I am going to add the headbadge and "Made in the USA" stickers (as per DT's reccommendation). Thanks for checking it out!
 

Attachments

·
George Dickel
Joined
·
371 Posts
:thumbsup: That looks great! One of the most unique Turners I've seen. Took some cojones to do it yourself, I am sure. Get some close ups of the frame if you can; I would really like to see what it looks like in detail. The black flame is a sweet touch to finish it off...:D
 

·
involuntary dismounter
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
mtbjc280 said:
I pulled out a can of aircraft stripper from my motorcycle tank painting days. It is a bit stronger then your usual brand of stuff, burns instantly on exposed skin.

I then took all the parts into the shower with me to rinse off the remaining stripper and gunk. I learned the error of this when I got burning globs of gunk very near, but thankfully not on, my exposed private parts.
i don't kow about ghey...but i can't believe that you thought showering with industrial strength stripper was a good idea! :eekster: :eek: :eekster:

ok boys...let's learn a valuable lesson:

showering nekkid with strippers...acceptable :thumbsup:
showering nekkid with industrial strength paint stripper...BAD!!! :nono:

now you know...and knowing is half the battle! :D

btw...cool bike! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dpdsurf said:
Looks great!

Possibly the gheyest thing ever posted on the Turner board :eekster: That's saying something when Foshizzle spends so much time here. ;)
Maybe if I had another dude helping me....just thought it the comment would get a laugh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ORVH said:
:thumbsup: That looks great! One of the most unique Turners I've seen. Took some cojones to do it yourself, I am sure. Get some close ups of the frame if you can; I would really like to see what it looks like in detail. The black flame is a sweet touch to finish it off...:D
Thanks man, I was pretty nervous when I started because I wasn't sure if it woudl work. I looked up powdercoating and a lot of people said you had to get it dipped. When I first put the stripper on I though "This is a really expensive frame.....". Thanks for the input.
 

·
Custom User Title
Joined
·
717 Posts
mtbjc280 said:
Maybe if I had another dude helping me....just thought it the comment would get a laugh.
Oh, it did get a laugh. :thumbsup: I was just joking myself. :)

The frame does look killer. The new head badge will look good up against the black vs. if it were all polished. One advantage to having snow is having all the time needed for such a project.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dpdsurf said:
Oh, it did get a laugh. :thumbsup: I was just joking myself. :)

The frame does look killer. The new head badge will look good up against the black vs. if it were all polished. One advantage to having snow is having all the time needed for such a project.
:thumbsup: My wife certainly had no sympathy for my situation. I origionally thought I might do red flames so I ordered the old headbadge. I would like to get the new stainless one, but the $25 price is holding me back. One of the things I am proud about with this project is that it only cost me $1 for scotch guard pads. I had all the other stuff on hand. I just won a garmin 205 on ebay a couple minutes ago, so that might slow me down on the stainless badge as well..... Anybody have that computer?
 

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
not bac jc, not bad at all. now loose all the red anno and silver bits. replace em with black and/or red painted stuff, not anno - too modern of a look. that gold and silver fork has to go! maybe a flat black zoke?

as usual, harry spells out a rule that shoulda been obvious to the rest of us from the beginnin. nice save!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cactuscorn said:
not bac jc, not bad at all. now loose all the red anno and silver bits. replace em with black and/or red painted stuff, not anno - too modern of a look. that gold and silver fork has to go! maybe a flat black zoke?

as usual, harry spells out a rule that shoulda been obvious to the rest of us from the beginnin. nice save!
I agree! Still looking for the exhaust tape for the chainstay.... The fork is a Zoke that I stripped, so it isn't silver, it is raw as well. I think it may need some paint, as you suggested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
Very well done. Just need some red Industry Nine wheels and a set of white walls (too bad white Onza Porqs are skinwall :D ) .

Oh, and run all the cables internally, that should get you through the winter. :thumbsup:
 

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
the man is mostly right. pooy on the anno, red or otherwise. paint only! but white walls... hell yeah! maybe a paint marker will do the trick! on big fockin tires!
 

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,308 Posts
mtbjc280 said:
...I then took all the parts into the shower with me to rinse off the remaining stripper and gunk.
I hope my house isn't downstream from yours, man. That stuff is nasty.

Kudos on the project! I've stripped paint from a frame once before and it took me a long weekend to get it looking presentable. I gave up on high shine finish somewhere around day 3.

You should paint that spring black or white!

_MK
 

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
Joined
·
45,670 Posts
Looks great! But what about when it starts oxidating? Your going to have a he11 of a time buffing the bare metal around the "painted" flames, with out scratching the flames.:eek:
 

·
George Dickel
Joined
·
371 Posts
mtbjc280 said:
Thanks man, I was pretty nervous when I started because I wasn't sure if it woudl work. I looked up powdercoating and a lot of people said you had to get it dipped. When I first put the stripper on I though "This is a really expensive frame.....". Thanks for the input.
Make sure you post some pics in the FAQ's/sticky section - use a good quote, like "My Spot and Strippers" or something to that effect.:thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top