Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
221 - 232 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
When it was all announced I deleted all my content on pinkbike and my account there. Have not been back to the site since.

I do miss browsing their classified ads, but the money has gone towards new stuff for ski season so that's a win.
Well there isn't as good a place as far as I know to sell and buy stuff for us. So I'll keep it. If classifieds go behind the paywall I'm out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Re: the PB classifieds, there was a comment made about maybe trying to extend those classifieds across other Outside platforms. They didn’t say whether that meant building out the PB classifieds to include other types of gear, or just replicating the PB classifieds model on other of their websites/platforms for other types of gear. It didn’t seem imminent, but who knows.

In their model 006-007, you’d be shopping for biking in their PB classifieds and ski gear in their SKI classifieds. They want to dominate the digital space across consumer outdoor interests, and they are definitely, aggressively angling for the many folks like you who do two or more activities. You are the sort of consumer they are telling brands they can reach by advertising with Outside. Oh, and might they interest you in a yoga camp or nutritional supplements? 😊

As for PB itself, to some extent I wonder if the emphasis on paywall among users isn't really very worrisome to Outside after all. The presentation included the idea that they expect only 5-10% of its online community of users to be paid subscribers. They expect 90% of their users to access their platforms through free accounts. On PB, the popularity of comments helps cement those free eyeballs – you have to create a free account to post comments. Or enter their giveaways. Or post on their classifieds. Etc., etc., etc.

When one accesses for free, Outside still gains insight on our interests, gather our first party data, target their marketing at us, and inundate us – even on the free platform – to their advertisers. The huck-to-flat video posted this week on PB is an example. I didn’t have to pay to see it, so maybe that is a “win,” but boy were the Cush Core sponsorship and product placement references (“we put Cush Core in all our control wheels”) front and center. Or the Field Test videos, again I didn’t have to pay, but the Sun Peak Bike Park sponsorship saturated the videos. And this week they are posting a bunch of other Sun Peak video content, and I’d be shocked if that wasn’t explicitly or implicitly part of the sponsorship relationship too.

Much of this sort of thing was going on pre-acquisition too. Orbea was all over PB Academy for example. But I guess my takeaway is that the intertwining of PB content and brand marketing is going to get really turbocharged, and how content is selected, created, shaped, and presented is going to even more often defined by marketing and sponsorship dollars. When Outside says they want to “curate” our world for us, it is really just a creepy euphemism for limiting our field of view to their brand partners and Outside’s own products. Nothing novel in that as a capitalistic endeavor, but PB is going to be heavily leveraged to accomplish that goal, and imo it will have an impact on content and editorial independence.

As for the paid stuff, I’d guess that they will over time peel away many of the most popular PB-created content, especially the video, and maybe the podcast, stuff. They’ll probably go slow, but they have quite a bit of popular content already to potentially leverage: PB Academy, Field Tests, WynTV, Cathro’s stuff, etc. Wonder if they will try to outbid Red Bull TV for the license for some of the UCI events. They’ll have to figure out what the break points are for # of free eyeballs they lose by putting stuff behind a paywall vs. # of paid subscribers they gain. This isn’t Outside’s first rodeo, and I suspect they are quite good at sussing out those break points.

Anyway, more than anyone asked for. Bottom line: Outside seems already (something like 80 million hits a month on their platforms), or is on its way to becoming, an outdoor activities juggernaut that wants to target and lock down the page views, event and travel dollars, and discretionary spending of affluent consumers. For Outside, PB is another means to that end.

·
high pivot witchcraft
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Funny to see the "outside+" subscribers get downvoted by the angry commenters every time.
Most of them didn't even know they would have a tag on their username, and be in the crosshairs of the rage. It came out of nowhere. Even funnier.

·
high pivot witchcraft
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Re: the PB classifieds, there was a comment made about maybe trying to extend those classifieds across other Outside platforms. They didn't say whether that meant building out the PB classifieds to include other types of gear, or just replicating the PB classifieds model on other of their websites/platforms for other types of gear. It didn't seem imminent, but who knows.

In their model 006-007, you'd be shopping for biking in their PB classifieds and ski gear in their SKI classifieds. They want to dominate the digital space across consumer outdoor interests, and they are definitely, aggressively angling for the many folks like you who do two or more activities. You are the sort of consumer they are telling brands they can reach by advertising with Outside. Oh, and might they interest you in a yoga camp or nutritional supplements? ?

As for PB itself, to some extent I wonder if the emphasis on paywall among users isn't really very worrisome to Outside after all. The presentation included the idea that they expect only 5-10% of its online community of users to be paid subscribers. They expect 90% of their users to access their platforms through free accounts. On PB, the popularity of comments helps cement those free eyeballs - you have to create a free account to post comments. Or enter their giveaways. Or post on their classifieds. Etc., etc., etc.

When one accesses for free, Outside still gains insight on our interests, gather our first party data, target their marketing at us, and inundate us - even on the free platform - to their advertisers. The huck-to-flat video posted this week on PB is an example. I didn't have to pay to see it, so maybe that is a "win," but boy were the Cush Core sponsorship and product placement references ("we put Cush Core in all our control wheels") front and center. Or the Field Test videos, again I didn't have to pay, but the Sun Peak Bike Park sponsorship saturated the videos. And this week they are posting a bunch of other Sun Peak video content, and I'd be shocked if that wasn't explicitly or implicitly part of the sponsorship relationship too.

Much of this sort of thing was going on pre-acquisition too. Orbea was all over PB Academy for example. But I guess my takeaway is that the intertwining of PB content and brand marketing is going to get really turbocharged, and how content is selected, created, shaped, and presented is going to even more often defined by marketing and sponsorship dollars. When Outside says they want to "curate" our world for us, it is really just a creepy euphemism for limiting our field of view to their brand partners and Outside's own products. Nothing novel in that as a capitalistic endeavor, but PB is going to be heavily leveraged to accomplish that goal, and imo it will have an impact on content and editorial independence.

As for the paid stuff, I'd guess that they will over time peel away many of the most popular PB-created content, especially the video, and maybe the podcast, stuff. They'll probably go slow, but they have quite a bit of popular content already to potentially leverage: PB Academy, Field Tests, WynTV, Cathro's stuff, etc. Wonder if they will try to outbid Red Bull TV for the license for some of the UCI events. They'll have to figure out what the break points are for # of free eyeballs they lose by putting stuff behind a paywall vs. # of paid subscribers they gain. This isn't Outside's first rodeo, and I suspect they are quite good at sussing out those break points.

Anyway, more than anyone asked for. Bottom line: Outside seems already (something like 80 million hits a month on their platforms), or is on its way to becoming, an outdoor activities juggernaut that wants to target and lock down the page views, event and travel dollars, and discretionary spending of affluent consumers. For Outside, PB is another means to that end.
This is incredible. You should consider being a writer for PB. A conscientious objector of sorts. A provider of what would be a more popular counterpoint. Maybe I would stick around. Anyway, great write up. Nice writing skill set.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,990 Posts
A couple more weeks in, and other than the banners, the biggest change has been the comments ;)

·
always licking the glass
3,298 Posts
A couple more weeks in, and other than the banners, the biggest change has been the comments ;)
Nope, more and more PRs from companies and their either shitty products or M&A. Kinda kills all the good comments.

221 - 232 of 232 Posts