Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
UZZI 275
276 Posts
I still don't think your background qualifies you to tell me my preference in this matter is trash. or anyone's preference.

so how much of a trail system can you see if you zoom in on your phone? how much detail do you see when you zoom out to see the trail system? how much area does your phone screen let you look at at once before the whole trail system gets smooshed together? you simply cannot see it all at the same time from a phone screen. maybe if I dragged my 42" widescreen monitor from my desktop computer into the field. but even still, that's smaller than most foldable large format paper maps. with a quality paper map, I see all that I need to, without extra fiddling. especially in the sweaty southeast where phone screens like to ignore your touches or exaggerate them. or in bad lighting conditions where you can't see the screen. or you're trying to work with a group as mentioned earlier.

I have gone back and forth over using maps digitally or in print over the years through work and recreation. sometimes I don't have a choice in the matter. especially for work. but regardless of the extra tools digital devices bring, there are still things that paper maps do better.
I did not not tell anyone to use or not use anything in this thread , I just said that either printed or digital map allows users to achieve same results ;

On Topic side - Merging of the company typically takes 3-9 month, depending on the size;

So we can expect PB content till NY

Cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wilderness is far from pristine where I live or anywhere I've visited. Horses, free range sheep and cows. Adding bikes wouldn't change anything in regards to environmental impacts. Gated roads, and or large roadless areas will prevent shuttling and only those that want to earn their turns will really go backpacker deep into the backcountry. We can have bike access without changing anything "wild" about what we call wilderness in this country. Not sure where you live but here in CO we have 42 wilderness areas. Millions of aces! It's pretty silly ranchers can run sheep and cows on horseback but local's can't pedal a bike around? It makes no sense. If we were talking strict wilderness where nothing but walking was allowed I get your point but that's not what "wilderness" is in USA. If you want to talk about protecting some areas from all use other than foot traffic I can't get on board with that, but banning bikes in wilderness as wilderness stands these days is stupid.
Wrong, but at this point the discussion is ideological anyway, so why bother?

At the end of the day, open up the Wilderness Act to revisions at your own peril. I'm absolutely certain the GOP will gut it completely if we start to go down that road.

·
Registered
66 Posts
somebody does not ride the backcountry.
I have a 100 mile float trip in a month. paper maps lets me see the big picture, coupled with the gps, i know where i am and what is around me.
Just to be clear. My wilderness is bigger than all your wilderness adventures combined. I don't use a map, period, because I'm a man. I have a huger trip coming up and I'll be getting all the trailhead at the trailhead, which you could never find because it's not on any map.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,222 Posts
Just to be clear. My wilderness is bigger than all your wilderness adventures combined. I don't use a map, period, because I'm a man. I have a huger trip coming up and I'll be getting all the trailhead at the trailhead, which you could never find because it's not on any map.
Funniest thing in this thread. Thanks.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,007 Posts
I did not not tell anyone to use or not use anything in this thread , I just said that either printed or digital map allows users to achieve same results ;
this defies logic. they are different media with different advantages and disadvantages. they're not identical.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Wrong, but at this point the discussion is ideological anyway, so why bother?

At the end of the day, open up the Wilderness Act to revisions at your own peril. I'm absolutely certain the GOP will gut it completely if we start to go down that road.
Wrong? Maybe you don't have free range livestock, horses, and pack animals in your wilderness areas but I do. In what world does it makes sense to allow those things but not bikes? My point is there are plenty of wilderness areas that are far from protected islands that would no longer be pristine if bikes were allowed. Wilderness areas would be better protected if bikes were allowed and free range, horses, and pack animals were banned. Last I heard bikes don't breed invasive species, pollute our water and compete with native wildlife.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Wrong? Maybe you don't have free range livestock, horses, and pack animals in your wilderness areas but I do. In what world does it makes sense to allow those things but not bikes? My point is there are plenty of wilderness areas that are far from protected islands that would no longer be pristine if bikes were allowed. Wilderness areas would be better protected if bikes were allowed and free range, horses, and pack animals were banned. Last I heard bikes don't breed invasive species, pollute our water and compete with native wildlife.
I guess I would say that perhaps rather than pushing to allow bikes into these places that allow livestock, horses, and pack animals we should be looking at how to get the livestock, horses, and pack animals out and leave it at that.

Even without wilderness access I'm not really wanting for new trails. New stuff is getting built all of the time (around here at least) and I'm starting to think that a lot of the pro-bike-wilderness people want the access 'just because'.

I really believe that we need to have a few places that people don't have access too aside from using their two feet. We don't need to be able to ride our bikes everywhere.

·
Registered
298 Posts
my pinkbike bookmark goes directly to the buy/sell page. I wasn't aware they had articles, reviews, or a forum until I read this thread.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,343 Posts

LMAO. Is it 300 feet or 500 feet to the nearest road?
I’m from PA. GO STEELERS! It is possible to die in the forest but if you have a map the trails eventually intersect a road and you’re fine. But, getting cocky can still hurt you, bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
The perfessor
814 Posts
Yeah, there was a time when they put out legit content but that was a long time ago. PB will never be the same. Corporate giants don't buy into niche sports unless they see big money on the horizon. Outside will milk MTB media for all it's worth.
No, I quit reading Outside years ago because anything they reviewed was usually some yuppie-type, over-priced, over-hyped widget or clothing that really wasn't that good........sad thing is, I just bought a Pinkbike jersey for fall / winter / spring riding before they sold out to Outside - I hope the money went to some good beer and not Outside's pockets...........

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,700 Posts
pinkbike traffic metrics on steady decline
lots of sites are on decline

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
No, I quit reading Outside years ago because anything they reviewed was usually some yuppie-type, over-priced, over-hyped widget or clothing that really wasn't that good........sad thing is, I just bought a Pinkbike jersey for fall / winter / spring riding before they sold out to Outside - I hope the money went to some good beer and not Outside's pockets...........
So happy I didn’t buy any PB swag.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I learned that space and distance are viewed very differently on the east coast than the west coast (and presumably the Midwest) when flying to a wedding in Pittsburgh about 20 years ago. Our flight was delayed and we were stuck in Cleveland, Ohio, with no flights until the next day. Based on the tiny little map on airplane napkin, Cleveland and Pittsburgh didn't look far (remember no portable internet then). I started to ask people how far away Pittsburgh was. I was told far. I asked how many miles, nobody could answer. I asked how many hours and finally found someone that said four or so.

So we rented a car and drove. Guess how far it actually was?!!! 135 miles. I learned that day that people on the east coast view far as anything over an hour away by car or more than about 70 miles. On the West Coast (and presumably the Midwest) far starts at 200+ miles. Heck, we don't bat an eye at day tripping a ride that is 180 miles each way.
This has to be the most absurd assumptions I've ever heard and isn't the rule. We don't view 200 miles as much let alone 70, in fact people often drive 4-5 hours from NYC to Vermont just to ski and drive back in a day. Today, no direct airline service exists between Cleveland and Pittsburgh just to clue you into how little profit can be made off of that route, because its such a short drive.

181 - 200 of 202 Posts