Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
January 25, 2007
Port Authority Gains Stewart Airport
Air travelers, rejoice: The Port Authority has decided to lease Stewart Airport. Both Governors Spitzer and Corzine support the plan, and the Port Authority says the deal is "a major milestone."

The agency, overseen by NY and NJ, hopes that by having a fourth area airport, crowding problems at JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark airports can be alleviated. Port Authority officials have projected that JFK, LaGuardia and Newark will grow from 104 million passengers to 150 million in 2025. Stewart Airport, which now has about 300,000 passengers, could triple to 900,000 this year, and, with infrastructure expansion, could grow to handle 10 million.

Some facts about Stewart International Airport: It's 55 north of NYC, near Newburgh (maybe you've been on a flight that's stopped there briefly to refuel); it's a converted Air Force base of 2,400 acres that's actually bigger than Newark; and JetBlue flies out there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So what does that have to do with Stewart buffer lands? Yes the PA is going to buy the lease from National Express to manage the airport. That in no way will affect the buffer lands.
Most people don't know that that land was originally given to the state for airport development by Archie Stewart. The state has since designated it as parkland and therefore it cannot be developed by anyone. The only development of any of that land is the current exit off of RT84 onto Drury lane to aid congestion on Rts 300, 207 & 17k. And that took over 10 years of legal battles. This easier access will let the airport grow. But believe me there is plenty of unused space on the airport itself to use without disturbing any outside areas.
The master plan is quite interesting and if you should see it you would be impressed with the conservation efforts.
How do I know this? I have been a firefighter there for the past 5 years and a lifelong resident of New Windsor. Most of the development of the new terminal is being held up by the construction of our new firehouse.
So believe me. The buffer lands will be there long after you and I are gone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Are you certain that they will expand the the airport into the trails? I thought the trails were part of "Stewart State Forest" ??? Man, this is terrible. So much for "protected" state parks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't think there is. But the airport does have a website. It may be there. I just took a look at the proposed development plan hanging in the chief's office. There is nothing west of Drury lane being touched other than the exits that I mentioned before.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I just recieved the updated unit mangement plan for Stewart from the DEC.

The trails aren't going anywhere. That land is preserved. They have room to expand the airport without affecting the forest.

Support the group that saved this forest:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~sparc/

By the way the annual "bike the buffer" mountain bike tour is going to fall on the same day as the WMBA FTF. :(

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
sick4surf said:
I just recieved the updated unit mangement plan for Stewart from the DEC.

The trails aren't going anywhere. That land is preserved. They have room to expand the airport without affecting the forest.

Support the group that saved this forest:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~sparc/

By the way the annual "bike the buffer" mountain bike tour is going to fall on the same day as the WMBA FTF. :(
After reading that link it has convinced to me to help out. Thanks:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.