Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
madmike283 said:
Anyone? I was thinking about pulling the trigger on these things to give them a shot. Thinking about upgrading the stockers on my Trance X2. Wonder how white rims would look on the matte black frame???
Looks like the rims may be DT 4.2 with a new finish.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been looking for a new wheelset too. I would love to hear from someone who has these. I know they are pretty new, so there isn't going to be much long term reporting, but how about initial impressions???

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like they have a new version of these wheels up -with thier own brand hubs -
they almost look like American classic hubs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just called these guys the other day wanting some info on those hubs, wheels etc. They seemed on their game and knew what they were talking about. I forget the guy's name but he was willing to answer my questions. I am hoping to pull the trigger on one of their wheelsets in the next week or so. Prob the 717w/bww hubs. I will keep you posted!

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
sean916 said:
I just called these guys the other day.......They seemed on their game....I forget the guy's name but he was willing to answer my questions
That'd be Chris probably. I bought a set off them in May (I couldn't buy the parts to build 'em myself for their prices). I eee'd them with my order and said I'd phone them in a while with my credit card number. I'm up in Canada by the way. A few minutes later the phone rang and it was Chris calling for my cc number! You could have knocked me over with a feather. That's a first! :eek: We had a nice chat. :)

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
MoE79 said:
Mike T - If you got a set in May, how do you like them?
Love 'em. But I gotta say this - I've built my own wheels for five decades (plus wheels for many friends) so I just had to have my way with the BWW wheels before they hit the dirt (they were for my new cyclocross bike).

So I chucked 'em in my wheelbuilding stand and checked them with the dial indicator. They were 0.003" true (three thou). That's as close as I can get them without spending two hours truing. Someone at BWW tried hard. Then I stress-relieved the snot outta them (as per my wheel page info) and this knocked them a few thou out. They were still within reasonable trueness. But then I do everything I know to bed, stretch and stress-relieve them - the very things that happen during the first few revolutions and the first few weeks and months. I re-trued, equalized all the tensions, re-trued again and rode. It's been five months @ 3 rides per week (60 rides?) and they're perfect.

Most people won't do what I did and for them, the BWW wheels will be a great set of wheels right out of the excellent packing job.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
sean916 said:
Hey Mike mind telling us which wheelset you bought. From the info I received it sounds like all their wheelsets are built in house, if anyone else is interested.
For my CX bike I bought Open Pro rims/Shimano Ultegra hubs/DT 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes/x3/alum nipples. Here they are and those with eagle eyes will see I tied & soldered the spokes. Why? Because I can! :D I'll bet I peed away my warranty :D Do I think T&S makes any difference? I'd be a fool to say it does as I have no way of measuring its effect.

Edit - yes BWW wheels are built in-house.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mike T. said:
For my CX bike I bought Open Pro rims/Shimano Ultegra hubs/DT 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes/x3/alum nipples. ...
Opps that's right you did say cross bike. Sounds like a nice set. So after all this discussion I was on BWW's site again today ready to buy the 717's with the gold BWW hubs... but then... I saw the 717 with XTR hubs for a great price and temptation took hold.
http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=40

·
Registered
94 Posts
I ordered a set of the red BWW Pure XCR hubs with DT 4.2 rims, black spokes and red nips. First of all, they look awesome. The machine work on the hubs is very nice. The build quality seems to be great also. Since I just installed them last night, I do not have any durability reviews. The rear hub is super quiet, seems stout, and has rather quick engagement. I will post up once I have a few rides on them to let everyone know what I think.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just Ordered a Set

I just hung up the phone. I ordered a 29er set:

Pure hubs in red
Mavic 717 29er rim in black
DT Competition spokes in black
Alu nipples in silver

Should be an excellent wheelset. Weighing 1900g for $$369.95. You can't beat that.

My bike isn't together yet but I'll let you know what I think of them when they arrive.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have put a couple of rides on the wheelset so far. After the first couple rides, the non drive side spokes on the rear wheel were loosening quite a bit. The drive side seemed to be tightening up a bit. I assume that the builder didn't do any "pre-stressing" of the spokes during the build. That is now fixed up and they are good as new (maybe better than new) now that they have been re-torqueid and stressed. Other than the spokes loosening a bit with break-in, I love them. They roll great, look great, engage fast, and are quiet. Here are some pics if interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well, my new wheels just arrived and I am really pleased. The hubs a beautiful, the build is straight and true, and they weigh in at less than predicted. They came in at 1860 grams. Nice!

It will be a while until I get to ride them. They're for a new bike that isn't together yet. But I think I will like these wheels!

·
Registered
31 Posts
feedback

I'm just about sold guys... I've been looking at these for a while and I'm about to pick them over the WTB/Mavic 717's from Colorado Cyclist. I just built up my dreambike this year (refurb'd Moots Mootaineer) and I think these BWW/DT's could be worthy. Maybe i'll have the gumption to pull the trigger soon. Hard to do with very little ride feedback out there on them.

Any further ride comments is mucho appreciado..

Dave

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.