Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share a couple of pics of a quick, easy and useful mod I did to my BW.8 lowers while I was servicing the fork today, i.e. the Press-Fit Zerk Fitting Mod. In hindsight, I probably should have taken some step-by-step pics, but it's not like it's all that complicated of a procedure, anyway. Simply center-punch the zerk locations (19mm down from the top of the factory seals puts them about dead center in the lube cavity between the seals and the upper bushings), then drill away. I use a 1/16" bit to make a pilot hole, but you could probably get away with drilling the necessary 1/8" hole straight-away. A few taps of the hammer later, and those zerks aren't going anywhere, ever. They're the perfect way to keep those upper bushings lubed. If Enduro seals ever become available for WB forks, I'll put a set of those in, for sure.

-tw-

Attachments

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
sweet mod...

that's a great mod, good job Todd!!! i have seen that done by angry asian (though it was done on a 2003 marzocchi marathon, not sure if is was a s or sl model, and it was for a 26" baby wheel'd fork).

that's a mod i'd definately do if i ever go with a bw.8 (though i'd probably do it after the warranty ends).

anyone know if they'll do a remote lockout for the bw.8 fork for this up coming year???

cheers!

-tw- said:
Thought I'd share a couple of pics of a quick, easy and useful mod I did to my BW.8 lowers while I was servicing the fork today, i.e. the Press-Fit Zerk Fitting Mod. In hindsight, I probably should have taken some step-by-step pics, but it's not like it's all that complicated of a procedure, anyway. Simply center-punch the zerk locations (19mm down from the top of the factory seals puts them about dead center in the lube cavity between the seals and the upper bushings), then drill away. I use a 1/16" bit to make a pilot hole, but you could probably get away with drilling the necessary 1/8" hole straight-away. A few taps of the hammer later, and those zerks aren't going anywhere, ever. They're the perfect way to keep those upper bushings lubed. If Enduro seals ever become available for WB forks, I'll put a set of those in, for sure.

-tw-

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks...

...for the props, fellas.

Kam: James (Angry) is who turned me on to this idea a couple/three years ago. He's done it to a ton of other forks, and I've done it to a bunch of SIDs, too. Haven't heard anything about a handlebar remote from WB. I'd get more use out of a re-designed lockout knob, i.e. something easier to grab. I figured the reason for the current knob design was to minimize the chance of downtube interference(?).

FSG: yep, WB calls for a routine service every 30hrs.

-tw-

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
website...

Todd...can you give us a heads up on an website you can buy the zerk fittings from???

also, i am assuming you used a 1/8" zerk fitting since that was the size of the hole you drilled...correct?

cheers!

-tw- said:
...for the props, fellas.

Kam: James (Angry) is who turned me on to this idea a couple/three years ago. He's done it to a ton of other forks, and I've done it to a bunch of SIDs, too. Haven't heard anything about a handlebar remote from WB. I'd get more use out of a re-designed lockout knob, i.e. something easier to grab. I figured the reason for the current knob design was to minimize the chance of downtube interference(?).

FSG: yep, WB calls for a routine service every 30hrs.

-tw-

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Kam said:
Todd...can you give us a heads up on an website you can buy the zerk fittings from???
Yes Yes, do tell. I've been meaning to do this for quite some time (also after seeing Angry's mod a few years ago), but lazily have never followed up, partially because I assumed the holes had to be tapped first. What holds these in place?

And why are you not placing the fitting between the upper and lower bushings, as Manitou does, I assume for better coverage?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kam said:

also, i am assuming you used a 1/8" zerk fitting since that was the size of the hole you drilled...correct?

cheers!
Alright, finally found the page (better late than never!):

http://www.ajfittings.com/Fittings.htm

Scroll about 2/3 down the page to fitting# 1877 - it's a 'standard flush type fitting', the 'midget' of the bunch. You can enlarge the pic in the upper left corner of the chart for a better view. There's a nice diagram w/all specs - the 'midget' fitting only comes in one size, i.e. for a 1/8" hole. I bought a few dozen of these a while back, only have a handful left (used them in lots of forks), but I can't remember if there was a minimum order or not. Can't remember the price for sure, either, but I swear they were under $1 a pop.

-tw-

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speed�b Nate said:
Yes Yes, do tell. I've been meaning to do this for quite some time (also after seeing Angry's mod a few years ago), but lazily have never followed up, partially because I assumed the holes had to be tapped first. What holds these in place?

And why are you not placing the fitting between the upper and lower bushings, as Manitou does, I assume for better coverage?
No tapping required, you just drill a hole and 'press' them in w/a hammer. It's an interference fit, they aren't coming out.

As far as placement, I prefer to put them between the uppper bushings and wiper seals, because there's a nice cavity there to fill, i.e. something to 'guide' fresh lube all around the stanchions. Putting a fitting between the bushings, I can't see the lube migrating anywhere near all the way around the stanchion by itself. I'd rather concentrate the lube up top, where it's most beneficial. Also, I'm not entirely sure there would have been clearance between the fitting and the stanchion if the fitting was positioned between the bushings, due to the wall thickness of the black portion of the lowers.

-tw-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.