Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading "what should I buy?" questions alot lately and i'm wondering how many people buy bikes for "rational" reasons ie. quality frame, quality components, good value, etc. and who buys because the bike really speaks to them.

I'm in the latter group and i'll admit that i care about what a bike looks like and i'd rather ride something that you don't see as much. For example, if i had $1,000 to spend on a new bike the first place i'd go is a Kona dealership because I think they have the "cool" factor that other companies don't even if the bike isn't necessarily any better than a competitor.

In that same vein right now i'm riding a 1990 KHS and I love it. It's a bit small for me but it's one-of-a-kind (bright blue, yellow, and neon pink) and i get comments on it every time I take it to the trails. I love it because it incites passion in me.

I know there's a passion forum but i'm curious what the readers in the beginner forum have to say about passion vs. pragmatism.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
most similarly priced bikes are pretty much the same. its not like you're completely missing out buying a 1000 dollar kona over a 1000 dollar x-brand bike.

most people buy the bike because they like it. if not, we'd all be riding the same bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I chose the bike I bought as a beginner for a few reasons:

It was available locally
I like the feel of it
Ever so slightly better components
Cool looking bike
In my price range
I like the LBS better than the other ones in town that treated me like and idiot

I have been really happy with the bike and I know in a year or so I will step up to a FS now that I know for sure that I love the sport and there are places to ride where I live.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ok, I think we all want a bike that we believe complements us. I ride a Cannondale mainly because of the Lefty, but then to make it more "me" I have made some changes over the stock bike. I have added custom wheels, changed out the saddle, the grips, and upgraded some suspension and drive components, not just to improve the ride but to add that personal touch that sets my bike apart from the others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.