Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I going to purchase a new SJ Elite (men's version) for my wife. I'm choosing the Elite because it has the XT cranks, XTR read derailleur, and TALAS fork. I called the shop to see if they had any size smalls in stock. He said I should check-out the woman's version. I looked at the geometry charts on Specialized's website and the only difference I can tell is 10mm in the top tube. I can throw on a shorter stem if needed; 10mm is nothing. She currently rides an old XC FSR in a man's small with a shorty stem and loves it, but it's getting a little long in the tooth.

I have all XT on my '04 Enduro and the TALAS fork; love it to death!!! Wish the Elite did NOT have the juicy brakes, as most my friend's all squeal. A total XT package would be nice.

Anyways, anything I should beware of putting her on a Man's Small instead of a woman's? I already plan to trim the bars down, set the brake levers close, and throw a new Terry seat on (same style she rides now).

Price quoted for the Elite was $2,250 including 10% sale. Don't know if that's a decent deal or not.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Go for it. Good price and it should fit her fine w/stem change. I don't believe the suspension is any diff. on the women's model (weight wise for someone lighter). If that was the case get the women's.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't know all the differences, but I'm buying a SJ Expert right now and *insisting* on the Women's version. Realistically not sure how much of a difference it will make, but I want to support the companies that are supporting the women in the sport (some companies have the exact same bike with just different grips, seat, and paint for the women....that doesn't make it a women's bike. I know that I'm built a whole lot different than my BF, have way smaller hands/less reach to levers and shifters, etc. My understanding is that, while the components are the same as the men's, they are adjusted for women and the geometry of the frame is a bit different on all Specialized bikes.

My .02 from a women's perspective. :thumbsup:

·
MTBChick
44 Posts
I have an 05 SJ FSR (entry level) that with a few modifications I have grown to really love (i.e. fit, how it rides). Hight wise I am about 5'6 1/2 to 5'7 and I have a 31.5 inch inseam not sure how this correlates to the bike as I didn't use this info when I bought the bike. However, when I was looking at bikes I really really wanted a Santa Cruz Blurr but it was way out of my price range. The LBS ppl tried to get me to look at the womens specific SJ which I did check out the specs in the book they had (as they didn't have any in stock at the shop) and I wasn't impressed with the components that they were selling on the bike for the price that they were asking. At the time I could have and did get a men's with a few better components than the womens and for a whole heck of alot less. The things I did upgrade were to a different front fork (a year later), put disc brakes on the bike, cut down the bars, put a slightly longer stem with a slight more rise on compared to the stock short specialized one, oh and got a very comfy WTB speed shee saddle. If I were buying one today I would do more test riding than I did back then and I'd probably definitely try out the women's specific bikes. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Then get the women's model. I am betting the only diff. is the paint and then seat/grips. I like the blue model but the brown isn't as hot looking. Cool that spesh is making women's spec. models. I have the men's expert and you won't dissappointed with that bike. My only changes were cassette and tires and I added a the shock fender.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The only dif is the saddle and stem, which you can change out. Since the shocks are both air, theres no dif. Dont worry about it, she'll be stoked to ride it! Have fun, and enjoy it!!!

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
The women's frames have more step-over and a slightly shorter top-tube as women will often have a shorter upper-half than a man of the same or similar height. The only way your wife is going to know which bike fits her the best is if she rides them herself. My partner, who is the same height as me, said she preferred the small men's frame on the Stumpy FSR to any of the women's frames, all things considered, while I was most comfortable on the medium.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts