Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any suggestions for a good place to buy a wheelset?? thinking about hope hubs...universalcycles seems to have a good selection, what others should i check?
thanks

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Couple of options

Check with Larry at Mountain High Cyclery, Odd-n-endos (sp) or Chad at Red Barn cycles. These are names that come up frequently as reccommended wheel builders.

·
No Shades of Gray
218 Posts
Rbb

Call_me_Clyde said:
Check with Larry at Mountain High Cyclery, Odd-n-endos (sp) or Chad at Red Barn cycles. These are names that come up frequently as reccommended wheel builders.
I can speak for Red Barn. Chad's made some up for me and the price is always right.

Good luck.

L.

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
I can vouch for Chad at Red Barn Cycles as well.

He built me up a great set of wheels which haven't needed any service in 4 months now.

He has great prices and is awesome to work with!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
indeed....as far as I am concerned, that is the list of go-to wheel builders. while i have not had a Mike Garcia built set I know they are great and I have had excellent experience with both Larry and Chad in this regard.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
My Universal experience

billybobzia said:
any suggestions for a good place to buy a wheelset?? thinking about hope hubs...universalcycles seems to have a good selection, what others should i check?
thanks
I have a set of Hayes Superlight laced to Mavic 317s. They have been perfect since the day I bought them. I have trued them once or twice in the last few years but otherwise they have been great. Not sure what else to say. I got them for $360 built.

Jaybo

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Dave Thomas Speed Dream wheelsets...

I got my first set of wheels from Dave Thomas at the beginning of the season and I swore the bike sprouted a gas pedal it climbed so well! The difference was amazing, and Dave is a great wheelbuilder who will take all the time you need to make sure that you will be riding the perfect wheelset for your needs.

Here's the link to his site.
http://www.speeddream.com

Hope this helps a bit!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wheels

billybobzia said:
any suggestions...universalcycles?
Universal cycles built a set of wheels for me and I have been very pleased. Also had another set built by wrenchscience, again got a well put together set of wheels.

good luck,

·
Chumpstomper
88 Posts
Another vote for Larry Mettler at Mtn High. He built me a set of SS wheels about 18 months ago and I have not so much as touched them with a spoke wrench. They are as true as the day I picked them up, and I go around #280 in gear.

Mark

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'll give a positive vote for universalcycles.

I like the wheel builder feature on thier web site - where you get to
pick and choose the hubs, rims, spokes, and nipples.

Because of this feature, I actually took the time to learn about the different
spokes (thanks to Mtbr) and made an informed buying decision.

And the wheel-set I had built (Mavic 819's + Hadley hubs) is just great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.