Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the general consensus was on buying used frames. I see alot of frames on Ebay and Mtbr, many say they will include the original receipt, but does that void the warranty?

I was looking at Gary Fisher frames for a while but I have heard and seen so many pics of broken frames that it seems very risky if you don't have access to their replacement policy. However, I don't need (i.e. can't afford or get permission to buy) an entire bike and most of the time I can't even find a Fisher in stock anywhere.
For companies like Ventana or Salsa I can only find those new at the Path or Adrenaline, and usually I can't test ride them anyways.
If you buy an entire bike from the LBS and sell off everything but the frame and rebuild it up, does that void the warrenty? Or is that the best way to do it ?

Or is the idea that you save so much money on the used frame that its worth it to take the gamble that it won't break before you resell it? I don't mind the gamble on a $300 frame, but on a $1700 frame it becomes much riskier.

·
Registered
981 Posts
The warranty usually only applies to the original owner, so it's not transferable.

The reason some sellers include the receipt is perhaps you can lie and pretend to be that person. They never do an ID check to verify, you know what I mean?

Selling off the parts on a bike does not void the warranty

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.