Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Multiple questions, I hope you can keep up / help. I am a beginner (started last year), who would like to get into it more w/o immediately breaking the bank.

Thinking of buying a used 2008 Giant XTC2. The only thing I noticed is that when the front suspension (rock shox) is compressed it makes a whooshing sound.
1) Is the whooshing sound ok?

I think I can get it for $250 w/ stock components w/ the exception of mtb saddle and clipless pedals installed.
2) Not bad, right?

Also, I have eggbeater pedals on my 2000 specialized rockhopper A1 (rear derailleur broken).
3) Are these recommended, or common, for mountain biking?

4) Lastly, My 2000 specialized rockhopper A1 needs new rear derailleur and front suspension as a minimum. Really could probably use all new components. Is the frame worth building on, or should I go w/ the Giant XTC2 and upgrade as necessary? (or is there much difference?)

Your help is very apprecciated!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Ok. I try to give a few points to think about:

1) Whooshing sound... That could be the damping, and if it is, perfectly OK. Oil being pressed through shimms during the compression/decompression of the fork does make whooshing sounds.

2) Cannot comment.

3) Tons of riders use eggbeater pedals for MTB. Very common and recommended by many.

4) Fixing the rear derailleur and the fork can cost you anywhere from $150 and up. Depends on what you can do yourself and how savy you can shop. You'll be on $250 fats if you need additional parts replaced or need a shop to do the actual work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1) I agree with Kaba Klaus, the sound your hearing could be normal, but then again you might want to get it checked out just to be safe.

2) I think you are getting a pretty good deal since retail is about $600.:thumbsup:

3) A lot of people do use these pedals because they are very light, so i would recommend them

4) Getting a new fork will cost you, but if your willing to look around you could get a decent used fork, but it takes a lot of looking.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Giant bike sold before I could get it.

2000 specialized rockhopper A1...is this frame worth upgrading/building on?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts