Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a bike I'd like to get through a posting on that site. I just wanted to see if you guys had any guidance on doing something like this or anything I should be aware of - bike would be coming from Canada. How do I protect myself as a consumer if it's not going through paypal? Thanks in advance and sorry if this sounds completely ridiculous.

-Mike

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
not going through paypal or a credit card, your pretty much screwed, only surefire way is to drive up to canada, hand over money, and grab the bike, I tried buying a lyrik through pinkbike, paypal was the only thing that saved my ass.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah you guys are right. Thanks for the dose of common sense! Nobody wants to get burned, especially where bikes are involved. I'll have to insist!

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
its kind of a crapshoot over there.

On one hand its a huge open market thats also non-fee based to get your stuff sold and to find what you need to buy, but I find that 1 out of every 3 users you end up dealing with turns out to be a 15 year old who is not serious about actually paying for the frame you just spent 3 hours stripping down and boxing up for them or they sell the fork to someone else and disappear after they agree on a sale with you.

It sucks but sometimes it's worth while if you can be assertive and use all your resources to cut through the BS.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything out of the country unless he was a frequent poster on the site....credit cards have buyer protection...use it

·
Registered
447 Posts
Check his seller history. There will be a link at the top of the ad. If he is a repeat seller with several ads marked sold, over an extended period of time. You can make a judgment call based on that.

But buying on the internet is always risky, even with establish, respected members. Go check the bad seller forum on Ridemonkey to see what I mean. The post about Bullcrew, to be specific.:nono:

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
i just got scammed from a guy out of canada out of $700!!! not a pleasant experience, here is what i learned.

first off.... Paypal will screw you.

without going into details here are the things paypal won't tell you.

1. unless its bought through ebay, they WILL not gaurantee it. no matter what
2. if you use your paypal account make sure the funds are taken from your credit or debit card. if they take it out of your bank account you are again screwed.
3. If the person is a fraud they are willing to give them 10 days to "respond" or as i like to call it "10 days to transfere your money out of their paypal account" they will not pull money out of their bank account. they will only take money out of their paypal account. further note it only takes 2-3 days to transfere money out of your paypal account.
4. if you sold something and have money sitting in your paypal account hurry and transfere it before you pay for stuff. any money taken from your paypal account will not be refunded.

so in summary, if you don't use ebay make sure to use your credit card cause they can get your money back.

well on that note have fun and buy safely

or you could ask them to ship it Cash on Delivery (C.O.D.)

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
redmonster89 said:
I do Believe he forgot a "got" just after the "just".
right you are, man im still pissed, put a big kink in building my socom up. i had to switch from getting a 08 marzocchi 888 rc3 WC to a slightly used 09 boxxer team.

oh another thing i forgot to say, buying on pinkbike is killer right now. with the canadian dollar going down you can get some good deals.

my new fork was 660 canadian and it ended up being 525 USD.
good deals.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've asked for details and shipping rates on three different frames from three different sellers on Pinkbike recently as a “serious buyer“, never got a reply from any of them. The frames are still up on there for sale.

Can't say I would feel comfortable making a purchase through that site w/o using ebay/paypal due to the lack of communication so far.

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
dday297 said:
I've asked for details and shipping rates on three different frames from three different sellers on Pinkbike recently as a "serious buyer", never got a reply from any of them. The frames are still up on there for sale.

Can't say I would feel comfortable making a purchase through that site w/o using ebay/paypal due to the lack of communication so far.
possibly because:

-the seller got his laptop taken away due to failing western civ
-the seller got banned from the last internet cafe in Nigeria that did'nt know he's wanted by the authorities for internet fraud
-the seller has been baked beyond coherency on purple hydroponic nuggets for te last 72 hrs straight.

Really though, its not all bad... I pull some good biz there too from time to time but its not without going through some hassle.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Face to face is preferable, I picked up an 05 Norco Shore for $850 through Pinkbike. Trust me it was well spec'd and in fantastic condition, if you can do it in person then you have no worries, otherwise it's a crapshoot. I'd recommend using Paypal but if a scammer is involved the legal system isn't exactly fast. You will be protected but it's gonna take a while.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I just got a frame through there, but I used Paypal + credit card for safety. Seller even declared low value and no customs!!

I bought a frame from a shop up in Canada a bit over a year ago and customs were another 100 bucks...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.