Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Yeti, but I'm hesitant to go through MoneyGram. Online Outpost only accepts cash via MoneyGram; so there's no other method of payment. Although MoneyGram's website has an option to send money via credit card, when I asked if I could do it I got a kurt email saying that I should go to one of their agents and pay in cash. Another thing that caught my eye was a few grammer mistakes in their emails. That just raised my suspicions. For example:
Our customer John Doe require the payment to be done through MoneyGram money transfer service.

and

Member John Doe use MoneyGram Service for the payment due the fact is not able to use PayPal,Escrow, Credit Card or Cashiers Check as a method of payment.

and

Our system confirm you that you are fully protected in the transaction .........

Of course grammer is not indicative of good or bad service, but gee whiz, what is up with that? Is it perhaps a foreign company? Any recommendations or experiences with Online Outpost or MoneyGram?

Cheers

·
EDR
10,587 Posts
You weren't born yesterday were you? Lol.

Seriously, as a Yeti owner I beg you to run. I would hate to see you boned on this deal. These type of money-gram scams are as old as online selling.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Heres a thread from last week in the General Forum. The buyer found the bike through Craigslist on a deal that was too good to be true. The seller was also using online outpost. I have bought a couple of bikes using cashiers checks but its still risky. One deal fell through when the seller re-listed the bike. He had a phone number and address so I felt fairly comfortable but being a kid and maybe no scruples he said he decided to relist it to see if he could get more money. Anyway heres the thread from last week.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4567461#poststop

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys - advice heeded !

Interesting...... I did a Google search after sending this original post. I found others who received practically verbatim email replies with 'sellers' as I did. Damn... I really wanted that bike. It was a 2006 Yeti 575, choice components, great condition, for $1300. I'm tempted to just buy a new frameset to soothe my soul!

Anyway, thanks much for the advice and opening my eyes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.